What are my chances? TX resident, 505 MCAT 3.9 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimed

Reaction score
Hello! I am coming over at the recommendation of Reddit to get some advice on my school list. I initially preferred MD but am okay with DO as well because of my MCAT score.

- Demographics: ORM, TX resident, female. From rural community

- MCAT: 505 (127/125/125/128)

- cGPA: 3.91 (need to calculate sGPA but I have 1 B)

- Research: 90 hours in public health educational materials for Chinese Health Workers, no pubs or presentations

- Clinical experience:
360 hours as a mental health tech
1600 as scribe and scribe manager
4300 hours working in clinical operations for a physician practice in skilled nursing
25 hrs hospice volunteering
125 hours hospital volunteeing
150 hrs as in pre-medical organization as general member and as chair of curriculum

Non clinical vol:
80 hrs as big brothers big sisters mentor
35 hours as crisis line texter
30 misc around community

- Shadowing:
35 hours with trauma/ortho MD
40 hours with FM MD

- Extracurriculars:
90 hrs in service org in college, mission relating to my brothers health which is present in app
400+ hrs Crafting, hobby, also present in app
35 hrs Texas Aggies Fighting Alzheimer’s

- LORs: 1 super strong from physician mentor/FM MD I shadowed and worked with for over 2 years, 1 from OCHEM prof, 1 from non sci, 1 from DO I work with

- Awards: Raised over 1k for Alzheimer’s research, distinguished as a champion walker

- Leadership:
Trend of quick promotions at scribe company and current role in skilled nursing
Director level position where I work with regional, state, and national medical directors/CMO of company daily
Junior officer in premed org

I'm a first generation college student and would be in my third gap year. I would really appreciate any advice or guidance regarding the school list. Thanks soooo much!

All TX MD & DO

OOS MD:
LSU Monroe
Oregon Health & Sciences University
Tulane
EVMS (family ties)

Not sure if I have any more chances with MD.

OOS DO:
Des Moines
KCU
NYIT
OSU
PCOM Georgia
Edward Via
Rocky Vista
Touro x3
Rowan
Pacific Northwest
Lake Erie

Members don't see this ad.

MD schools outside of TX do not tend to interview TX residents since they can't compete against the in-state tuition. On top of that,
LSU Monroe and Oregon Health & Sciences University rarely take any out-of-state students, let alone Texans. OHSU expects a high MCAT from their non-Oregon applicants.

You can apply to TCU and Tulane on AMCAS. Someone from a rural area in TX reported that they had gotten interviews with Central Michigan and Wright State since they have relevant programs.

I don't recommend Rocky Vista due to their for-profit status. The coastal Touros prefer a higher MCAT score, as does Rowan since it is majority NJ residents. You could add:

ACOM
Marian
Campbell
KCOM (Kirksville)

Reactions: 1 users
MD schools outside of TX do not tend to interview TX residents since they can't compete against the in-state tuition. On top of that,
LSU Monroe and Oregon Health & Sciences University rarely take any out-of-state students, let alone Texans. OHSU expects a high MCAT from their non-Oregon applicants.

You can apply to TCU and Tulane on AMCAS. Someone from a rural area in TX reported that they had gotten interviews with Central Michigan and Wright State since they have relevant programs.

I don't recommend Rocky Vista due to their for-profit status. The coastal Touros prefer a higher MCAT score, as does Rowan since it is majority NJ residents. You could add:

ACOM
Marian
Campbell
KCOM (Kirksville)
Thanks for your help!!