Chances for West Coast admission (Post-Bacc/Career Changer)

Started by wboarder
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wboarder

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, and thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my situation and provide guidance.

Here are my stats: Graduated in 2009 magna cum laude from the University of South Florida's Honors Collge with dual majors: International Studies and Religious Studies. 3.7 cumulative GPA.

The only standardized test I've taken is the ACT in 2004, and scored 28.

Also, served honorably in the US Army. But have no particularly relevant medical extracurriculars. I will be 30 years old by the time I potentially begin the Post-Bacc program (likely in Summer or Fall 2014).

Since college, have worked for the Federal Aviation Administration drafting policy. I should be able to provide very strong professional letters of recommendation.

I have long been kicking around the idea of attempting to attend Med School. I have been hesitent only due to financial issues, but I think my situation is sufficent now to make it work.

I visit the west coast for work, and would ultimately like to practice there. Preferably in southern California, though I would consider a Post-Bacc program at nearly any west coast school.

What are your recommendations?

I have been reading about Cal State - East Bay and am definitely interested. As stated, I would like to be more in the LA area. I am unsure if I qualify for USC.

Also, my preference is for a public school for costs reasons, although my primary concern is identifying programs that would likely accept me. I figured posting here may save me some avoidable application fees.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Hi all, and thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my situation and provide guidance.

Here are my stats: Graduated in 2009 magna cum laude from the University of South Florida's Honors Collge with dual majors: International Studies and Religious Studies. 3.7 cumulative GPA.

The only standardized test I've taken is the ACT in 2004, and scored 28.

Also, served honorably in the US Army. But have no particularly relevant medical extracurriculars. I will be 30 years old by the time I potentially begin the Post-Bacc program (likely in Summer or Fall 2014).

Since college, have worked for the Federal Aviation Administration drafting policy. I should be able to provide very strong professional letters of recommendation.

I have long been kicking around the idea of attempting to attend Med School. I have been hesitent only due to financial issues, but I think my situation is sufficent now to make it work.

I visit the west coast for work, and would ultimately like to practice there. Preferably in southern California, though I would consider a Post-Bacc program at nearly any west coast school.

What are your recommendations?

I have been reading about Cal State - East Bay and am definitely interested. As stated, I would like to be more in the LA area. I am unsure if I qualify for USC.

Also, my preference is for a public school for costs reasons, although my primary concern is identifying programs that would likely accept me. I figured posting here may save me some avoidable application fees.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Have you taken any significant amount of pre-med prequisite courses in undergrad. If not, then with your gpa and ACT you may have a good shot at post baccs that are meant for career changers and have very good linkages. Those programs may be worth spending extra money and/or relocating. Examples of programs include Columbia's post bacc program. I would make sure to look at California post-baccs designed specifically for career changers and with linkages.

I think Scripps College's post bacc program would be perfect for you. Check it out: http://www.scrippscollege.edu/academics/postbac/postbac-faq.php
 
Thank you for the reply.

Indeed, I am looking for a program designed for Career Changers. I have taken none of the pre-reqs necessary to attend Med School.

I appreciate the response.