Chances? How important is research experience when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdPrtyRjct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Am Kind of in the same boat as you; you could do like an MUE or a study at any of my first rotations site and see if you can present it as a poster at the AMCP Nexus conference ( This years event is in Dallas around October 2017 I think). Since you are trying to go down the ambulatory/ managed care lane, you should also get involved with the AMCP chapter of your school if possible ( Although it might be too late since you are a p4 student). I also suggest you try to present another poster at the Ashp midyear conference that way you can fill up the research section of your CV before finalizing your residency application, should you decide to go that route.

The suggestion of attending AMCP Nexus is spot on if you are interested in managed care. If you are interested in a general residency, I would say focus especially on your clinical rotations in getting diverse experience. This will be more helpful downstream when you are interviewing and receive questions such as "What's your best patient recommendation or Tell us your counseling style." You can (and I did) encounter these types of clinical questions in managed care residency and fellowship interviews too. Try to get a lot of projects or opportunities by being up front with your preceptor about your career goals and interests so they can challenge you earlier rather than later.

Don't worry about the research. If you CAN get research, then go for it as part of your rotations. If you can't, don't stress about it. Instead look for that extra opportunity that will help you stand out compared to your peers in (and this is key) the field you are interested in applying for. For clinical, if you want to focus inpatient vs outpatient, ask your preceptor for a project in that setting. If you are interested in managed, ask to write a monograph or participate in/see the P&T committee of the institution you are at. I won't bore you with my crash and burn research story but I ended up not including 3 years of research experience when I was interviewing and instead chose to highlight other aspects of my CV. It worked out fine.

Quite (but not most) important for your initial chances, focus on getting A's on your rotation (if they are graded as such) and see if that can boost your GPA even a little bit.

The leadership, the work experience, and the "prestigious" internship are only great if you can PROVE you learned something valuable or took away something valuable you can bring to a future residency program. So think about your key takeaways and stories and see how they apply to your interests and your strengths.

My recommendation - don't sell yourself short and apply to only lesser known or out of the way residency programs. Be realistic about top tier programs but once you get those interviews, the YOU on paper starts to matter less and less.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly what Lionheart said. I knew I wasn't top of my class, so I played the game well. I applied to random places after doing a ton of research on different programs. I steered clear of things like UCSF or MGH or University of Maryland, etc. I ended up with interviews and matching first choice.

Some of my friends are extremely smart! But they only applied to top tier programs. Guess what, they ended up not matching.

It's all about networking, playing the game, and really putting yourself out there and going to the most random areas.

... The residency program I matched with ... I'm in love with it and in love with the area that I'm in. I love my coresidents, and the people are absolutely amazing. ^^

Hopefully... see you at Midyear in Orlando?! If you need help, let me know I'm down to spend time helping!

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly what Lionheart said. I knew I wasn't top of my class, so I played the game well. I applied to random places after doing a ton of research on different programs. I steered clear of things like UCSF or MGH or University of Maryland, etc. I ended up with interviews and matching first choice.

Some of my friends are extremely smart! But they only applied to top tier programs. Guess what, they ended up not matching.

It's all about networking, playing the game, and really putting yourself out there and going to the most random areas.

... The residency program I matched with ... I'm in love with it and in love with the area that I'm in. I love my coresidents, and the people are absolutely amazing. ^^

Hopefully... see you at Midyear in Orlando?! If you need help, let me know I'm down to spend time helping!
I'll be attending midyear in Orlando this year. Is it important for an individual to do a presentation? I wanted to present but the deadline was came up so fast this year so I guess I will be at midyear networking.

Hi Dumplings! :)

It isn't too important; however, I would still try and find a way (if you can). If not, no need to but do network as much as you can. During residency interviews, some places do ask you to do a presentation of 30-45 minutes. Some places will have you solve a clinical case in the form of a SOAP note and see what your thought process is. It depends on the program. I had both in my interviews.