Chances & How important will my PCAT score be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrPrePharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for admission to PharmD programs for entrance in 2015. Though my requirements are nearly complete, I have not taken the PCAT yet. I did take the GRE, as I originally thought I wanted to continue onto graduate school and scored a composite of 97%ile. I am feeling nervous about the PCAT as some of the science material covered I took classes in 4-6 years ago; obviously a lot of the material is no longer fresh in my mind. I'll be taking it in about 2 months and will continue to prepare for it until then.

My stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-reqs:
Chem I: A-
Chem II: A
Orgo I: A
Orgo II: A
Biology I: B-
Biology II: A-
Calc I: A
Calc II: A
Biostats: A
Econ I: A
Econ II: A
Public Speaking: A
Written Composition: A
Anatomy/Physiology I: A
Anatomy/Physiology II: taking next semester
Physics I: Currently taking
Physics II: taking next semester

I have a B.S. magna cum laude from a top 50 school.
My science GPA is slightly lower than overall GPA, due to a C- in an upper level bio class and a B in genetics.

I am a certified pharmacy technician with nearly 2 years (several thousand hours, mostly full time) of work experience. I am expecting to have good to excellent recommendations from a Chemistry professor (had the highest grade in that class) and one of my staff pharmacists.

I'm applying to several schools (top choice probably UIC) mostly in the Chicago area and am an Illinois resident.

My question is what are my chances, and how worried do I need to be about my PCAT? Will scoring below 70%ile, for instance, really impact my application that much?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't like bumping threads, but 121 views, 0 replies? Would really appreciate feedback.

Your stats already look promising, good GPA, bachelors, and pharmacy experience. If at best at least score 70+ and it shouldn't hurt you that much, just don't do terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like bumping threads, but 121 views, 0 replies? Would really appreciate feedback.

I am currently applying for admission to PharmD programs for entrance in 2015. Though my requirements are nearly complete, I have not taken the PCAT yet. I did take the GRE, as I originally thought I wanted to continue onto graduate school and scored a composite of 97%ile. I am feeling nervous about the PCAT as some of the science material covered I took classes in 4-6 years ago; obviously a lot of the material is no longer fresh in my mind. I'll be taking it in about 2 months and will continue to prepare for it until then.

My stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-reqs:
Chem I: A-
Chem II: A
Orgo I: A
Orgo II: A
Biology I: B-
Biology II: A-
Calc I: A
Calc II: A
Biostats: A
Econ I: A
Econ II: A
Public Speaking: A
Written Composition: A
Anatomy/Physiology I: A
Anatomy/Physiology II: taking next semester
Physics I: Currently taking
Physics II: taking next semester

I have a B.S. magna cum laude from a top 50 school.
My science GPA is slightly lower than overall GPA, due to a C- in an upper level bio class and a B in genetics.

I am a certified pharmacy technician with nearly 2 years (several thousand hours, mostly full time) of work experience. I am expecting to have good to excellent recommendations from a Chemistry professor (had the highest grade in that class) and one of my staff pharmacists.

I'm applying to several schools (top choice probably UIC) mostly in the Chicago area and am an Illinois resident.

My question is what are my chances, and how worried do I need to be about my PCAT? Will scoring below 70%ile, for instance, really impact my application that much?

your stats look great. The only thing you need now is to take the PCAT and score well (preferably in the 80s - 90s percentile which I think you could do easily) and you are golden. Don't worry about 70 or 80 or 90 for now. Take the test and get the score then go from there.

GL :)

Update: Received a 94%ile composite in PCAT. Feeling a lot better with it done. Did not study very much as I felt like the more I studied the more I stressed needlessly.

First, congratulations on your PCAT score. That is a very strong and competitive score. With that, your pharmacy experience, andyour GPA, you should definitely be guaranteed numerous interviews. My advice would be to prepare yourself for the interview but make sure that you are not too stressed out over it. Good luck!!!

Update: Received a 94%ile composite in PCAT. Feeling a lot better with it done. Did not study very much as I felt like the more I studied the more I stressed needlessly.

so my prediction that you could get 90++ easily was right on :)

congrats and GL !! :thumbup::thumbup: