Chances? HRMA major.. sub 3.0 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamessLL

Reaction score
Hello, Needing some advice!

I graduated from a university with 2.79 gpa (that's after retaking few classes and those grades were replaced by the previous ones) in hotel and restaurant major back in 2013. I have been in the industry for 4 years and decided that it wasn't the path that I would like to continue and had interest in a dental field so I decided to go back to school last summer. Since the last summer, I have taken 49 credit hours over the 3 semester period.

My initial GPA when I graduated in 2013 - 2.64 with 138 credit hours, (Lots of F's and took many CC courses to cover credit hours and made mostly all C's since grades weren't transferred to my university)
My current GPA after my in-formal postbacc 2017 - 2018 (took all pre-reqs) - 2.95 with 187 credit hours
My informal postbacc GPA - 3.80 with 49 credit hours

Shadowing
- About 230 hours from 4 different general dentists
Volunteering - Mostly through my church and post-hurricane volunteering, close to 400 hours
Employment - Hospitality management including department of hotel and GM of the restaurant, currently part time serving while studying.
LOR - 3 LOR from professors and 2 LOR from dentists ready

DAT - I haven't taken it yet. I will be studying from January to end of March to study and will take it on April 1st.

Will schools even look at the application if GPA is under 3.0?
What can I do to improve my application?

Thank you for your support!

Members don't see this ad.

Slim. I would advocate to do a 1 year masters program and do very well in it. If you're planning on applying this upcoming cycle, I would just try to do VERY well on the DAT (24+) and apply broadly.