This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldentaleli

Reaction score
Overall GPA: oGPA: 3.0 (my GPA was a 2.4 when I graduated college, I've been taking upper levels science courses at the UC extension schools and local community college since I graduated (2022)) graduate GPA: 3.9 all A's but got one A- :( will have about 20+ credits when I apply
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Taking it in April
State of Residence: I am originally from IL but I've been living in MI to do my SMP; Not sure how this will work for residency purposes but I would like my residency to be considered MI, if possible, to increase my chances of getting accepted here.

Major: Undergrad: Biology Masters: Basic Medical Sciences
Minority? No, middle eastern
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+ hours with general dentist
Volunteering Experience: RefugeeOne Free Dental Clinic Volunteer, Virtual COVID tutor for underprivileged children, after school program for underprivileged children, volunteer at my church, and I am currently looking for some more service volunteering here in MI
Employment: Pharmacy tech, Dental Assistant for 3 months before I moved states and just got another opportunity here!
Research: About to start doing Microbiology research at my grad school and I did about a month or two of research before I graduated undergrad but not sure if that is worth mentioning
Other Extracurriculars: 2 leadership positions in sorority, pre-dental club, pathophysiology tutor
Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors student at community college
LOR type and strength: Planning to get two from my current professors (one of which I am doing research with) and one from the dentist I am going to work for, so pretty strong I hope!
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I failed a couple classes during undergrad and after I graduated I failed organic chemistry I and then got a C in it the second time. Besides that, I have gotten all A's and B's in all of my classes and my grad GPA is a 3.9 as stated above!
School list:

Note: I really want to increase my chances of getting accepted in Michigan as much as possible! If anyone has any tips directed towards MI dental schools, please let me know!

Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan
Midwestern AZ and IL
UIC

I have a couple questions:
- As stated above, I am originally from IL and lived there my whole life. I just moved to MI in January to continue my masters program here. What do I have to do to qualify as a Michigan resident for my dental school application?
- Will my undergrad and grad GPA be combined for screening + admissions purposes? On Dental school explorer, that is how they are shown so I wasn't sure if this is how admissions looks at them.
-I know UoM is VERY competitive. Do I even have the slightest chance, given that I have done very well with my masters at a rigorous university? Or will they just look at my undergrad GPA and reject me?
-

Members don't see this ad.

Get a michigan license asap for future consideration of being called a michigan resident when you apply in june. Contact UMich regarding instate tuition and ask for advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Also you definitely have a chance with the grad gpa, but have you taken your DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
get DATbooster; I would say to follow the study schedule for 3 months and take lots of practice exams.

Reactions: 1 user
You should ask your SMP how successful they have been with similar students who were from OOS originally. You only have two choices in Michigan for dental school, and UDM is private... so it really is your call with U of M. (UDM has a lot of MENA students as you know.) Among the Illinois schools, you could go for UIC. If you are from Southern Illinois, you have a good shot there.

If you're already in Michigan, you probably have connected with U of M dental students or admissions staff. If you haven't, you need to. I don't know what your mission fit is with Michigan, and your grades are going to hold you back.

You should ask your SMP how successful they have been with similar students who were from OOS originally. You only have two choices in Michigan for dental school, and UDM is private... so it really is your call with U of M. (UDM has a lot of MENA students as you know.) Among the Illinois schools, you could go for UIC. If you are from Southern Illinois, you have a good shot there.

If you're already in Michigan, you probably have connected with U of M dental students or admissions staff. If you haven't, you need to. I don't know what your mission fit is with Michigan, and your grades are going to hold you back.

The one thing that my SMP told us was that they have a really good relationship with UDM and that their program is really respected by Michigan schools.

Sorry to ask a dumb question but what would be the best way of connecting with students and admissions staff at U of M? I have sent admissions emails a couple of times to ask questions and I have reached out to a student that commonly posts on social media but what more can I do besides that?