Chances I get into Pod School? Can I get in without MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedBoiXX

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I really wanted to know my chances or get an idea where I’m standing because I really want to do podiatry.

I’m graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Biology and a Bachelors of Arts in Health Studies in 3 years of my undergraduate.
My cumulative GPA is a 3.52. Non-science is 3.83. Science is 3.1. I’m the president and founder of my college’s soccer club, I have multiple experiences in health settings like working in the Emergency department as a scribe for doctors, volunteered at surgery centers in hospitals, a year of work in low income educational facilities for children, been the secretary of another club, and shadowed around 40 hours with 2 different podiatrists. I have more extra-curriculars that I haven’t stated. I still have to take the MCAT though, and started studying but I’m hella nervous. I heard some people sent their applications and got accepted even without taking the MCAT. Do I have a chance for that? I have 7 letters of recommendation, from faculty, podiatrists, team leads, etc.

also, should I try studying for the MCAT and take it and apply for the application cycle this fall? Like take the exam June 1st, send out my applications right after I take it because I have my application all ready to go, just need to MCAT. Do I have a good chance of being accepted? I’m super nervous, and don’t know whether I can get in. I’m attaching my resume too so y’all can see highlights.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats, letters, and ECs are definitely good enough to get into a podiatry school. I would study for and take the MCAT.

Do NOT bank on getting into a program without that. It takes roughly 30-35 days to get your score so you can easily take the MCAT, send in your apps, get some interviews possibly even without the score and just have the MCAT be that final piece.

You have a great CV. study hard for the MCAT and you will be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Stop complicating your own path. Yes, historically some of the schools might let you slide. Yes, most podiatry students are AWFUL at the MCAT. Take the dang test, do average or whatever it is people are doing. If you crush it they may throw a wad of money at you. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for some admissions person to down the road to say - "hey, we have everything except your MCAT" and then you'll be like ...I don't wanna, etc. Why put yourself in a position where you are limiting which schools you can go to. Do you only want to go to a certain school because it was the school that doesn't require the MCAT?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
I really wanted to know my chances or get an idea where I’m standing because I really want to do podiatry.

I’m graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Biology and a Bachelors of Arts in Health Studies in 3 years of my undergraduate.
My cumulative GPA is a 3.52. Non-science is 3.83. Science is 3.1. I’m the president and founder of my college’s soccer club, I have multiple experiences in health settings like working in the Emergency department as a scribe for doctors, volunteered at surgery centers in hospitals, a year of work in low income educational facilities for children, been the secretary of another club, and shadowed around 40 hours with 2 different podiatrists. I have more extra-curriculars that I haven’t stated. I still have to take the MCAT though, and started studying but I’m hella nervous. I heard some people sent their applications and got accepted even without taking the MCAT. Do I have a chance for that? I have 7 letters of recommendation, from faculty, podiatrists, team leads, etc.

also, should I try studying for the MCAT and take it and apply for the application cycle this fall? Like take the exam June 1st, send out my applications right after I take it because I have my application all ready to go, just need to MCAT. Do I have a good chance of being accepted? I’m super nervous, and don’t know whether I can get in. I’m attaching my resume too so y’all can see highlights.

Please do not post personal info on SDN. I deleted your CV.

Also, don't rush. Podiatry schools will be here when your app is ready.

Take the MCAT. Do not rush the process. It'll come off sloppy and can hurt more than help. Study for it and just do your best. Get the score and we can reassess your chances.

School that doesn't require MCAT might not be the best fit for you. You want to have as much options as possible. Trust me, I made the mistake of only applying to 3 schools and I regret that a lot.

Take the MCAT. Do not rush the process. It'll come off sloppy and can hurt more than help. Study for it and just do your best. Get the score and we can reassess your chances.

School that doesn't require MCAT might not be the best fit for you. You want to have as much options as possible. Trust me, I made the mistake of only applying to 3 schools and I regret that a lot.
Well you are right, but lets say you take the MCAT and apply in next years cycle right? Would the letters of evaluation have the same weight? Like you got a letter of recommendation the year of 2021 cause of the work you did. Now you’re applying for 2022, would it hold the same value

Stop complicating your own path. Yes, historically some of the schools might let you slide. Yes, most podiatry students are AWFUL at the MCAT. Take the dang test, do average or whatever it is people are doing. If you crush it they may throw a wad of money at you. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for some admissions person to down the road to say - "hey, we have everything except your MCAT" and then you'll be like ...I don't wanna, etc. Why put yourself in a position where you are limiting which schools you can go to. Do you only want to go to a certain school because it was the school that doesn't require the MCAT?
Yeah you’re right, you brought up some unarguable points. I’ll just take the time and take the MCAT. I guess I was trying to get in as fast as I can this fall and not a year off.

You’re right, any idea if schools only have the option to start this fall? Or can you jump in at any semester like how undergraduate schools work.

Well you are right, but lets say you take the MCAT and apply in next years cycle right? Would the letters of evaluation have the same weight? Like you got a letter of recommendation the year of 2021 cause of the work you did. Now you’re applying for 2022, would it hold the same value

my letters were like 3 years old. YMMV.

Letters mean nothing compared to a good MCAT score.

Stop taking the easy way out.
You will deal with board exams after you get in.

You are not doing yourself any favors by submitting without an MCAT score

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.