Chances in NY, PA, NJ DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insaiyan-premed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a first-semester student at Rutgers SMP. From Undergrad not SMP, My cGPA is a 3.24 AMCAS sGPA is a 3.2 and AACOMAS sPGA is a 3.17, I'm a super ORM, NJ resident. So my target is primarily DO schools.
200 Hours shadowing; 100 in the ER and 100 in Neurology Clinic
Scribing since January, on hold due to COVID
Pharmacy technician for 3 years
Clinical EC; 300 hours, Big Hospital
Clinical Research with leadership position; 500 hours, big hospital
I want to stay around the area. I understand that this is early advice however I would like to get a general idea of what I have to aim for if I want to get admitted to Rowan, LECOM, NYIT, Touro-NY, or PCOM. I plan on performing well in the program I'm in (currently done with a few midterms).
I plan on graduating this SMP with above a 3.5 minimum (putting this as a fall safe, aiming for a 3.7+). Basically, MCAT is the only missing factor and possibly a DO letter.

So the advice I'm asking for; what MCAT score and anything else other than do well in the SMP. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm currently a first-semester student at Rutgers SMP. From Undergrad not SMP, My cGPA is a 3.24 AMCAS sGPA is a 3.2 and AACOMAS sPGA is a 3.17, I'm a super ORM, NJ resident. So my target is primarily DO schools.
200 Hours shadowing; 100 in the ER and 100 in Neurology Clinic
Scribing since January, on hold due to COVID
Pharmacy technician for 3 years
Clinical EC; 300 hours, Big Hospital
Clinical Research with leadership position; 500 hours, big hospital
I want to stay around the area. I understand that this is early advice however I would like to get a general idea of what I have to aim for if I want to get admitted to Rowan, LECOM, NYIT, Touro-NY, or PCOM. I plan on performing well in the program I'm in (currently done with a few midterms).
I plan on graduating this SMP with above a 3.5 minimum (putting this as a fall safe, aiming for a 3.7+). Basically, MCAT is the only missing factor and possibly a DO letter.

So the advice I'm asking for; what MCAT score and anything else other than do well in the SMP. Thank you.
505+; 510 ideally

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same stats as you and also did a masters at an SMP. I respect Goro's opinion but I don't think you need a 510 at all to get into a DO school. Your GPA isn't horrendous, it's actually pretty decent. If you were applying MD, then yeah it would not be good but for DO it's fine. Do well in your SMP and this will make up for your uGPA and show you can do well in med school classes.

I'd say if you do well in SMP, 3.7+, and get a MCAT above 503 (505 ideal>), you should be good.

I'm a first at Rowan SOM right now. I had a 3.4 uGPA --> 3.5 with masters. and 3.2 sGPA with masters. Without it like 3.15 sGPA like yours. I got a 505 MCAT, but did well at Rutgers MBS program (3.9 GPA).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same stats as you and also did a masters at an SMP. I respect Goro's opinion but I don't think you need a 510 at all to get into a DO school. Your GPA isn't horrendous, it's actually pretty decent. If you were applying MD, then yeah it would not be good but for DO it's fine. Do well in your SMP and this will make up for your uGPA and show you can do well in med school classes.

I'd say if you do well in SMP, 3.7+, and get a MCAT above 503 (505 ideal>), you should be good.

I'm a first at Rowan SOM right now. I had a 3.4 uGPA --> 3.5 with masters. and 3.2 sGPA with masters. Without it like 3.15 sGPA like yours. I got a 505 MCAT, but did well at Rutgers MBS program (3.9 GPA).

Thank you for the advice! Did you take any of the medical school-related courses so far? I'm in Funds of Biochem and Funds of Pharma rn. They're going well. How long did you take to finish the program?