Chances - MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDEK

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for all you experts out there. I'm sort of new to all this and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

The Story:

I'm currently enrolled in a 4 year private college (http://www.baker.edu/). I recently switched to their Online University as I'm working 45+ hours a week with a two hour drive daily, so online was the only logical step I could take. My first plan was to acquire my associates then transfer to one of my State Universities. However, after looking at the course equivalencie guides at near universities, I'm not sure it will be worth taking the few extra pre-reqs I need to stay on track with both schools. The college I'm currently attending is a bit more expensive than it would be for me to transfer to the university, so it's not a money issue. Classes are just easier to get in.

Basically I'm at the fork in the road where it seems like I need to make a decision. I read a few forums on this topic and it seems taking a few online classes is okay, but it's better to acquire a degree from a grounded, well known University.

So this is my question:

Taking classes online would be my first choice due to time constraints. Do you think I should just suck it up and take classes at a university or explain in my personal statement why I chose online?

If this MIGHT be a stumbling block while applying, I would rather just play it safe and go the more traditional route. Also, if MD would be out of the question, I wouldn't mind attending a DO school......

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question for all you experts out there. I'm sort of new to all this and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

The Story:

I'm currently enrolled in a 4 year private college (http://www.baker.edu/). I recently switched to their Online University as I'm working 45+ hours a week with a two hour drive daily, so online was the only logical step I could take. My first plan was to acquire my associates then transfer to one of my State Universities. However, after looking at the course equivalencie guides at near universities, I'm not sure it will be worth taking the few extra pre-reqs I need to stay on track with both schools. The college I'm currently attending is a bit more expensive than it would be for me to transfer to the university, so it's not a money issue. Classes are just easier to get in.

Basically I'm at the fork in the road where it seems like I need to make a decision. I read a few forums on this topic and it seems taking a few online classes is okay, but it's better to acquire a degree from a grounded, well known University.

So this is my question:

Taking classes online would be my first choice due to time constraints. Do you think I should just suck it up and take classes at a university or explain in my personal statement why I chose online?

If this MIGHT be a stumbling block while applying, I would rather just play it safe and go the more traditional route. Also, if MD would be out of the question, I wouldn't mind attending a DO school......

If you are going to Baker, that means that you, like me, are in the great State of Michigan. My advice would be to transfer to whatever state university is nearest immediately. GVSU or whatever.

If you do stay at Baker, I would strongly recommend making sure that anything you take transfers. I have heard that this is a big problem with Baker College credits.

If you are going to Baker, that means that you, like me, are in the great State of Michigan. My advice would be to transfer to whatever state university is nearest immediately. GVSU or whatever.

If you do stay at Baker, I would strongly recommend making sure that anything you take transfers. I have heard that this is a big problem with Baker College credits.

Good catch. I am from Michigan and I live half way between the two colleges. I'm only taking courses based on the course equivalency guide (http://www.gvsu.edu/studentapps/mtn/?schoolId=005011&classId=) on GVSU's website. The courses I have taken do transfer, but like I said, after this semester I'll either have to spend the extra bucks taking pre-reqs for the classes that will transfer to GVSU or just continue taking classes at Baker. Thank you for responding, but I'm just wondering if this is just an assumption or is this something you've had experience with?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anything about Baker, but I do know that the attitude of MD med schools varies widely on distance-learning. You should probably call the schools you'd intend to target with your med school applications (all your state schools for sure) and ask for their policy if it's not on their website. Virtually no school will accept the science prerequisites with their lab component from on-line school coursework. As to other prereqs and general education credits, the attitude seems to be slowly liberalizing, but VERY slowly. I have read horror stories of folks needing to retake a year's worth of credits due to on-line credits not being accepted by brick-and-mortar schools toward graduation requirements.

Overall, it's safer to attend a traditional, accredited college or university in order to have the greatest number of options when it comes time to apply.

I don't have any idea of DO schools' attitudes toward distance learning. If you call and ask, come back and let us know.

Good catch. I am from Michigan and I live half way between the two colleges. I'm only taking courses based on the course equivalency guide (http://www.gvsu.edu/studentapps/mtn/?schoolId=005011&classId=) on GVSU's website. The courses I have taken do transfer, but like I said, after this semester I'll either have to spend the extra bucks taking pre-reqs for the classes that will transfer to GVSU or just continue taking classes at Baker. Thank you for responding, but I'm just wondering if this is just an assumption or is this something you've had experience with?

I know one person who had trouble transferring some of his credits to MCC. He retook some courses. A friend of mine is an educational counselor here who strongly recommends that her students go to State U. or a CC over Baker. The main reason she says is, as you noted, that Baker is much more expensive than the local schools.

As to the online issue, as Catalystik pointed out, distance learning can be a drawback if dealing with a prereq. Considering that Baker is more expensive and that it can make admission harder on you, I would go with GVSU, WMU, or CMU before I went with Baker. Just my two cents on the issue.

Thanks for the replies. I completely understand both your points. I do know for a fact that the classes I've taken thus far do transfer. Believe me, I was a bit skeptical myself when I first started. I wasn't quite sure how the labs would work out and honestly, I still don't. I do know what my state schools require and I know an online university can't provide it, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to enroll in a University for just those science courses or not. And to you, Catalystik, I'll give a couple D.O. schools a call tomorrow and let you know what they say.

I'm sure you're wondering, Dartmouth2005, why I chose Baker in the first place. I explained a little in the original post, but given the circumstances I'm sure you'll understand a little more in-depth explanation.

My employer is paying for me to go to college, so I'm just about paying nothing. When I first called GVSU, they required I transfer in as a freshman and I was told Freshman will hardly ever have a shot at taking classes online as they give priority to their juniors and seniors. So being realistic, I had to choose a university that was as flexible as my schedule (which is hardly). Now I'm to the point where i'm stuck with these questions.... or more accurately, problems.