chances my gf would be able to follow me/get into UVA Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romefalls410

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Just got my merit award letter from UVA Law School today, and, barring any waitlist acceptances, I will be going to UVA next year. My question is this, what are my gf's chances of getting into UVA med next year? I don't mind having a LDR, but I would obviously love it if she could follow me. Her stats: 3.91, double major chemistry and philosophy, 3.98 science gpa, 40 mcat, Ivy. She has great stats, but I am worried that since she is out of state/international (Canadian), she will have problems with getting in. Also, her stats are so good I am worried that UVA won't think she wants to go there. However, an aunt of mine is a professor at UVA Medical School and has worked for the admissions office doing interviews/evaluating applicants in the past. If I can get her to throw her complete support behind my gf's application, how much better will her chances really be? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

none at all..:idea: :idea: get a new gf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask YankeeCanuckMD, he is accepted to UVM and from his username I believe he's canadian.

Ask YankeeCanuckMD, he is accepted to UVM and from his username I believe he's canadian.

I understand this may all seem a. rather improbable or b. like I already know the answer, but I really only know about how law school admissions work, not med school.

The simplest and most immediate thing you could do would be to call UVA and ask whether they treat Canadian applicants like US applicants or like international applicants. Apparently, schools vary on how they consider applications from Canucks.

If they look at Canadians similarly to US applicants, she has at least a decent shot. She'll want to apply early, send special note expalining her crcumstances, etc., but her stats are certainly good enough to get her in.

If they look at Canadians as international students, things will get a lot trickier. At that point, it might be worth it to start a dialogue with admissions asking if there was anything she could do to improve her legal standing with the school.

Good luck! :luck:

Rome, I'm out of state but US citizen, nowhere near your gf's stats, got accepted pretty early in Nov. UVa explicity states international is OK as long as they did their college degree in a US accredited college, so she's good to go. The only thing is, she will get 0 financial aid from them, and she will have to prove to them that she can afford to attend. - check out UVa's med admissions website - they have a small paragraph for international students

GIRLFRIEND....wait lemme say that again.....GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

seriously, if you guys were married (with kids preferably) then you MAY have a case.

Just got my merit award letter from UVA Law School today, and, barring any waitlist acceptances, I will be going to UVA next year. My question is this, what are my gf's chances of getting into UVA med next year? I don't mind having a LDR, but I would obviously love it if she could follow me. Her stats: 3.91, double major chemistry and philosophy, 3.98 science gpa, 40 mcat, Ivy. She has great stats, but I am worried that since she is out of state/international (Canadian), she will have problems with getting in. Also, her stats are so good I am worried that UVA won't think she wants to go there. However, an aunt of mine is a professor at UVA Medical School and has worked for the admissions office doing interviews/evaluating applicants in the past. If I can get her to throw her complete support behind my gf's application, how much better will her chances really be? Any advice?

You've pretty much described the perfect applicant, so if they take international students, then she's probably got a great shot. With that said, you never know how this process is going to turn out. I got into my top choice and got rejected at my safety school.

If you get engaged that will help a lot. Also, I would be very clear to them that UVA is her first choice. In fact, if they have early admission, can't remember, she could go for that. I would visit their admissions on a visit to see you if I were in her shoes. You just want to avoid them thinking it's just another school on her list. Her credentials should certainly be enough to gain respect! Good choice for you both, Charlottesville is so nice.

Her stats: 3.91, double major chemistry and philosophy, 3.98 science gpa, 40 mcat, Ivy.

But does she have an upward trend in her GPA? And has she shown a commitment to serving soup to homeless people twice a month for the last decade?

Ya know, if she has already taken the MCAT (and got a 40 no less), then chances are she probably knows at least a little about the admissions process. Just go ask you girlfriend what she thinks instead of poking around for her. Heck, she may not even want to go to UVA ;)

Actually, I think she already posts on SDN. Her user name is "paranoid_eyes" (see post #12 above)

:p

Ya know, if she has already taken the MCAT (and got a 40 no less), then chances are she probably knows at least a little about the admissions process. Just go ask you girlfriend what she thinks instead of poking around for her. Heck, she may not even want to go to UVA ;)

Actually, I think she already posts on SDN. Her user name is "paranoid_eyes" (see post #12 above)

:p

Talk about a 'subtle' hint...

GIRLFRIEND....wait lemme say that again.....GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

seriously, if you guys were married (with kids preferably) then you MAY have a case.

Actually, that's a pretty good point. I've done some med admissions stuff before, and the boyfriend/girlfriend status is almost meaningless. Way too many relationships break off at this stage (you may swear up and down that yours is different but you will never convince strangers of that without a more official status like being engaged or married).

How long have you been dating? Have you talked about marriage before? For your girlfriend (who seems very qualified) to limit herself to UVA (which is definitely a good school but certainly not the top top tier) just for you is asking a lot if you're not totally committed. And if you are totally committed, consider making it more official.

why dont you just call them and ask...

She must be absolutely hot for you to be as whipped as a puppy. Or loaded. Or Both. 1 thing is needed for sure: Pic please!

Med schools could give 2 sh*ts about a bf/gf relationship.