Chances of Gaining Admission Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllAmerican13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my second time applying to dental school and I would like to know your feedback on my chances of being accepted. Im pretty scared, anxious, and nervous (like everyone else I suppose) but still on the optimistic side.

My undergrad gpa was low because I was a dumb freshmen and sophomore before I decided to get it in gear (science gpa 3.17). DAT scores were 20 RC, 20 OC, 20 GC, 18 Bio, 14 RC, 21 PAT after taking it once. I was a D1 All-American track and field athlete and I have over 300 hours of shadowing/assisting experience from 4 different dentists. Came from a poor family and I was the first to go to college. I have an unreal amount of work experience as a contractor, hop farmer, and chemist (current job).

The schools I applied to this year are UNC, VCU, Indiana university, and UOP. I would have applied to many more but having been completely financially independent since before graduating college it was quite costly without assistance.

Thank you all for any word of wisdom. It's greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Guessing the 14 is qr.

Are you actually considered URM? What's your residency? My honest opinion is that you should have picked your schools a little more wisely. I hope it works out for you though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I typed this on an IPhone lol. QC was the lower score

It would be easier if you tell us things that you've changed or improved on between the two application cycles. I am not sure exactly what section of the DAT you got a 14 on but you should have retaken the DAT. I understand that being financially independent is a burden on the application but it is imperative that you increase the schools that you apply to with your current stats.

Not I'm not a URM and I have a NC residency. Choose UOP because it's my dream school and my study partner with the same credentials got in last cycle. Choose Indiana because my great uncle was a professor there for many years and was president of the Indiana dental society. There is a laundry list of other reasons but basically that's why I pulled the trigger on applying to those schools.

It would be easier if you tell us things that you've changed or improved on between the two application cycles. I am not sure exactly what section of the DAT you got a 14 on but you should have retaken the DAT. I understand that being financially independent is a burden on the application but it is imperative that you increase the schools that you apply to with your current stats.
Thank you, and Retaking the DAT is something I wanted to do, however there were other factors prevent this from happening. The 14 was on QR

If you can come up with the money before August ends. I would put two safety schools. Not Howard or meharry since you're not URM.

Between the two cycles I had gained an additional 100 hours of dental office experience and took 2 additional science classes which I recieved A's in both.

If you can apply to one more, apply to ECU. I think they only accept NC residents.

Hello everyone,

This is my second time applying to dental school and I would like to know your feedback on my chances of being accepted. Im pretty scared, anxious, and nervous (like everyone else I suppose) but still on the optimistic side.

My undergrad gpa was low because I was a dumb freshmen and sophomore before I decided to get it in gear (science gpa 3.17). DAT scores were 20 RC, 20 OC, 20 GC, 18 Bio, 14 RC, 21 PAT after taking it once. I was a D1 All-American track and field athlete and I have over 300 hours of shadowing/assisting experience from 4 different dentists. Came from a poor family and I was the first to go to college. I have an unreal amount of work experience as a contractor, hop farmer, and chemist (current job).

The schools I applied to this year are UNC, VCU, Indiana university, and UOP. I would have applied to many more but having been completely financially independent since before graduating college it was quite costly without assistance.

Thank you all for any word of wisdom. It's greatly appreciated.
First of all, why are you wasting your money with UoP and UNC with a 14QR?

First of all, why are you wasting your money with UoP and UNC with a 14QR?
Because I had one friend get into UOP with exactly the same scores as I got. Another classmate of mine got into UNC with and 18AA

The confusion is you keep saying QC. It's either QR or RC. Either way a 14 in ANY subsection is below cutoff for many schools. Best of luck to you! I hope you can get in somewhere!