Academic Infraction - What is the likelihood of receiving interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneralPoopsock

Reaction score
Hello,

Let me preface with nothing will stop me from applying to schools. This is the report from the Dean of Students office on my infraction:

The student in violation contacted Dr. ____ regarding a grade received on an assignment in our course. When we followed-up for additional information, the student produced screenshots of a revision history and a submission receipt. Upon closer inspection of the submission receipt, it was clear that the submission receipt was not genuine and had been manufactured/falsified in attempt to receive credit on the missed assignment.

The student was informed that we determined the documentation was manipulated and was given the chance to be honest. The student chose to hold true to his story upon which the specifics were relayed including the offense fell under an academic integrity violation. With this information, the student finally admitted to falsifying the documentation with help in attempt to get points for the missed assignment. The evidence fabrication in this situation is an egregious violation of the core principles of academic integrity.

As a result of this meeting, the faculty found you responsible for Other .
-----

TLDR; I did an assignment, forgot to turn it in, forged a submission receipt to submit along with my Google Doc history, got caught.

This happened March 2023 during my Sophomore year and I would apply this Summer as a Junior in order to avoid taking a gap year. I'm not planning on lying on my applications, I'm posting here looking for feedback on what to expect in terms of responsiveness from dental schools and how to manage interviews were I to get one. Let's assume I'm competitive in all the criteria with a 20/20 DAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

Let me preface with nothing will stop me from applying to schools. This is the report from the Dean of Students office on my infraction:

The student in violation contacted Dr. ____ regarding a grade received on an assignment in our course. When we followed-up for additional information, the student produced screenshots of a revision history and a submission receipt. Upon closer inspection of the submission receipt, it was clear that the submission receipt was not genuine and had been manufactured/falsified in attempt to receive credit on the missed assignment.

The student was informed that we determined the documentation was manipulated and was given the chance to be honest. The student chose to hold true to his story upon which the specifics were relayed including the offense fell under an academic integrity violation. With this information, the student finally admitted to falsifying the documentation with help in attempt to get points for the missed assignment. The evidence fabrication in this situation is an egregious violation of the core principles of academic integrity.

-----

TLDR; I did an assignment, forgot to turn it in, forged a submission receipt to submit along with my Google Doc history, got caught.

This happened March 2023 during my Sophomore year and I would apply this Summer as a Junior in order to avoid taking a gap year. I'm not planning on lying on my applications, I'm posting here looking for feedback on what to expect in terms of responsiveness from dental schools and how to manage interviews were I to get one. Let's assume I'm competitive in all the criteria with a 20/20 DAT score.
i see no evidence of remorse on your part, nor any admission that you were wrong...

Reactions: 6 users
I'm posting here looking for feedback on what to expect in terms of responsiveness from dental schools and how to manage interviews were I to get one. Let's assume I'm competitive in all the criteria with a 20/20 DAT score.
It's not as easy to say you are competitive with just a DAT score. But to your question, you must disclose this IA. Your language should reflect the statement you received from your Dean of Students. Don't change this language in your statement.

... The student was informed that we determined the documentation was manipulated and was given the chance to be honest. The student chose to hold true to his story upon which the specifics were relayed including the offense fell under an academic integrity violation. With this information, the student finally admitted to falsifying the documentation with help in attempt to get points for the missed assignment. The evidence fabrication in this situation is an egregious violation of the core principles of academic integrity. ...

Forgery is really serious. I cannot answer for any admissions committees, but as described this is fatal for admission to any profession of trust. Dentists don't tolerate forgery well.

Not disclosing this puts you at risk of getting it discovered and you being expelled. Many dental schools want a confirmation letter from your student dean regarding IAs, and your prehealth advisor team must also confirm this.

What is the statute of limitations for this charge on your record? You should wait until the charge is expunged at the very least. We have no sense of your contrition or remediation so far.

Your plans to avoid a gap year are going to be folly. Even "perfect" applicants have trouble getting in.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Doubling down and then finally admitting guilt is tough. And if that’s disclosed on your report that will make things difficult, especially since it happened so close to when you plan on applying.

Like said above, forgery is a huge issue with ethics. You will have patients coming in requesting opioids and you need to do the right thing and say no and not be coerced into falsifying paperwork.
I hope you understand you were clearly in the wrong, and I think you need to be ready to admit full fault and what you’ve learned from this experience. Because schools will want to see how you’ve grown and won’t do this again. Ever.

Applying right away might make things really difficult when schools see the report or how you’ve disclosed it. I think you’ve gotta put some time and distance into the IA before applying to greatly give yourself the best chance for admission. Which means taking a gap year

Being in a profession such as dentistry demands honesty and integrity. It's an obligation for our patients. Most of them have no idea what's going on with their teeth and rely on us to be honest with what they need done. Trust me, it would be incredibly easy to just lie to patients and tell them they need X, Y, and Z done so I, as a dentist, could make more money. But I need to be able to sleep at night and I could never lie to someone's face like that, it would eat me up inside.

Looks like you would just be fine lying to someone's face for a quick buck. Sad.

I think it’s gonna take many years between you and the incident to have a chance for acceptance. You’re probably looking at several years working in the dental field before they’ll consider your application. But this isn’t advice, I’m not on any admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

-----

You got caught forging a submission receipt, fought against it even though you knew you were wrong, and this is the first thing you say when asking for an advice? lol..

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users