chances of gettin in?! help me out guys?! Thanks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkstni3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got to the University of Illinois at Urbana-champaign in Illinois.

My overall gpa is 3.2
my science is around 3.0

my dat score was an overall of 16 with a pat of 18

im retaking the dat in september

what are my chances of gettin in with these scores?
i got dental experience, reserach, tutoring, currently a student employee and all that other good stuff too.

thanks guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you are from Illinois, like myself, you probably have a moderate chance of getting accepted at either state school. This should not discourage you from applying. I definately think that you will get accpeted somewhere (nova, NYU, indiana, Marq) this year, but don;t hold your breath for UIC or SIU

I am a UIC grad, with same DAT, but higher GPA, it took me 3 tries to get accepted to UIC, I never got accepted to SIU. The best way to look at this is by school.

Overall in talking to admission counselors there are almost 400 Illinois residents applying to dental school every year, trying to get one of the 115 spots (50+65). I have it on good authority that UIC will boost their class up by 10 next year (class of 2007)

SIU_SDM: the better of the 2 state schools. In fact in the last 5 years they have been in the top 4 or 5 in part 1 of the national boards. This school, puts high emphasis on the DAT (as in better then 18), and science GPA (they want at least 3.2). You should have a 3.4 and a 18 DAT to be considered. The major factor that SIU considers is location, as in where you live. The reason this school was started is to get more DDS's (or DMD's) in Southern Illinois. While some people do get accepted from Chicagoland, they try to get the downstaters. If you are from Cook county, you are at a disadvantage.

UIC: an OK school. I think that in the last few years their reputation has been slipping, but with the closing of Loyola and NW, they have stepped up their research and realized that they have to be Chicago's dental school. The new dean has some great ideas, I think that in 5 years UIC will be great, I just couldn;t wait that long. You have a good chance to get accepted here. UIC doesn;t care about the DAT, as long as you get a 14. UIC also loves undergrads from the state schools, especially UIUC. Your GPA is a little, low, don;t expect a Dec 1st acceptance, but don;t be surprised if you get a letter in March. For UIC you don;t have to retake the DAT.

I would apply to several out-of-state privates (nyu, detroit, marquette, creighton, nova, case-west, the bostons, and pennsylvanias), and those that encourage out-of-staters (michigan, indiana, iowa, the kentuckys). Not to mention the new school in Arizona.

Your research and volunteering are normal. Everyone has that, and most people have dental assisted, so those won't set you apart. I hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

I would try to hit at least an 18 on the DAT. I think you already knew that. A 20 would certainly almost guarantee you more attention, but I think you already knew that also.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it. I'm just a lil worried. I never new siu had such a good reputation. I'm gonna work on gettin my DAT a bit higher and hopefully it should work this time..hah..but do you think I can get interviews from both schools? I have also applied to out of state schools..indiana, iowa, etc...

thanks again.

Sorry one more question..I've sent in my DAT scores with an overall of 16. Can I also send my scores of my next DAT in to the schools even if it's late september/early october? Or will it be too late and that they might have already made their decision about me being rejected?..

Thanks.

Did you send in your AADSAS already? There is spot on that to list the date of a future DAT.

If you haven't yet done it, I would call the schools and ask them to mark your file with the date you expect to retake the DAT. Let them know that you'll have the new scores sent to them, but also that you'll call them that day (or the next) and verbally update them on your scores.

Your GPA isn't horrible at all, and with stronger DAT scores you should find quite a bit of success.

whats up Gavin, yeah i marked that on my DAT, so I'm guessing everything should be okay with me retaking the DAT. Thanks a lot for the confidence booster..i've been feelin pretty crappy after reading what gpa/dat scores people had that are in dental school now.
thanks guys.