Chances of getting Army HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianr86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone give give me some input on my chances of getting the Army HPSP. A couple weeks ago my application was reviewed (apparently I was still in 4 yr contention). My recruiter called me about a week ago and told me I was on the order of merit list, and it was a good thing because no 3.5 yr HPSP had been given. The army has started selecting and notifying applicants. I would like some input on my chances. So I did not receive a scholarship in this wave, I was told by my recruiter there could be another wave of offers in the next couple of weeks.

Some stats:

DAT: 19/21/20
tGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.3

I am D1 at ULSD

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone give give me some input on my chances of getting the Army HPSP. A couple weeks ago my application was reviewed (apparently I was still in 4 yr contention). My recruiter called me about a week ago and told me I was on the order of merit list, and it was a good thing because no 3.5 yr HPSP had been given. The army has started selecting and notifying applicants. I would like some input on my chances. So I did not receive a scholarship in this wave, I was told by my recruiter there could be another wave of offers in the next couple of weeks.

Some stats:

DAT: 19/21/20
tGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.3

I am D1 at ULSD

Thanks.

Chances of getting a 3 or 3.5 yr scholarship are low. There were around 50 3 yr scholarships available, and a lot of people on the wait list for them. What will happen now is the initial 3 yr scholarship offers are being made. Those that turn them down will be offered to the next people on the list.

There is no visibility by most people/recruiters of this list, so you will not be able to get an idea about where you are at on the list.

If you had applied last year for the 4 yr scholarship - there was a great chance. Many more 4 yr scholarships available than 3 yr.

What's the chance of getting the four year scholarship, break down of stats, also if some one is approaching middle age?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the chance of getting the four year scholarship, break down of stats, also if some one is approaching middle age?

You won't find a break down of stats because each board that meets only considers those applicants presented to them. Therefore stats change each board. You are now approaching the 2nd board. Each consecutive board that meets your chances become less and less as the pool of available scholarships shrinks and the number of applicants increases. If you are going to do it - don't wait.

Age is not looked at. If you are older and need an age waiver then that is all that matters. If you don't need an age waiver then don't worry about it.

Is it too late already for a four year scholarship??

You won't find a break down of stats because each board that meets only considers those applicants presented to them. Therefore stats change each board. You are now approaching the 2nd board. Each consecutive board that meets your chances become less and less as the pool of available scholarships shrinks and the number of applicants increases. If you are going to do it - don't wait.

Age is not looked at. If you are older and need an age waiver then that is all that matters. If you don't need an age waiver then don't worry about it.

Just to clarify the age issue, at what point do you require an age waiver? I'm guessing beyond finishing dental school by age 35, but I'm not 100% sure.

Just to clarify the age issue, at what point do you require an age waiver? I'm guessing beyond finishing dental school by age 35, but I'm not 100% sure.

Age waiver is needed when you get into your 40's. If the recruiter didn't bring it up, you don't have to worry about it.

What percentage of students get the scholarship, if not fourth year, then three year ones? What criteria? How competitive is it to get at least one of the services? What other gov/private sector scholarships are available?

What percentage of students get the scholarship, if not fourth year, then three year ones? What criteria? How competitive is it to get at least one of the services? What other gov/private sector scholarships are available?

There are approximately 130 scholarships each year - 50 - 3yr and 80 4-yr. This number may change slightly each year - but it's a good estimate.

Your chance of getting it depends on how many people apply. The number of applicants vary each year - and the scholarship contnues to be more popular each year. Your chance is directly tied to how early you apply. Each month that goes by less scholarships are available.

The criteria - they look at your application. That includes DAT scores, GPA, degree, letters of recommendation. Each board that meets reviews the applicants for that month - they don't have a set criteria or look back at previous months.

As scholarship availability starts to shrink they will start to rank people and do an order of merit list which eventually turns into an alternate list when the 4 yr scholarships are gone. In years past this alternate list of 4 yr applicants was used to fill the 3 yr HPSP scholarships - so they went very fast.

As far as other scholarships - don't know - this is the military thread so the other stuff you'll need to look into.

Krmower,

This year I was boarded in Feb; however, I didn't receive a scholarship (while it sounds like many others from the feb board did). Where does that leave me? Is it realistic to believe that I may get a four year or was I passed over entirely?

My recruiter mentioned I may "drop down" (I'm not sure what that means) in the future. He didn't tell me I would not get it but I was confused about where I stand now. Thanks.

There are approximately 130 scholarships each year - 50 - 3yr and 80 4-yr. This number may change slightly each year - but it's a good estimate.

Your chance of getting it depends on how many people apply. The number of applicants vary each year - and the scholarship contnues to be more popular each year. Your chance is directly tied to how early you apply. Each month that goes by less scholarships are available.

The criteria - they look at your application. That includes DAT scores, GPA, degree, letters of recommendation. Each board that meets reviews the applicants for that month - they don't have a set criteria or look back at previous months.

As scholarship availability starts to shrink they will start to rank people and do an order of merit list which eventually turns into an alternate list when the 4 yr scholarships are gone. In years past this alternate list of 4 yr applicants was used to fill the 3 yr HPSP scholarships - so they went very fast.

As far as other scholarships - don't know - this is the military thread so the other stuff you'll need to look into.

As of 20 MAR this is what the current status is:
4yr HPSP- 70 available/ 8 achieved/ 50 pending/ 2 on OML
3yr HPSP- 35 available/ 28 achelved/ 7 pending/ 12 on OML
All of the 3yr HPSP have been given out. We still have some 4yr HPSP
available. If all 50 that are pending accept the HPSP, then we would have
12 scholarships available. That's assuming all 50 accept.

Thank you, krmower! You're the man!

Is the OML ranked based on stats or chronological?

So you're telling me there's a chance!
[YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA[/YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]