2 year Army HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljustus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve been thinking about applying for the 2 year HPSP and I was wondering if the same opportunities exist for a 2 year recipient to specialize as a 3 and 4 year. Also what would the payback period look like? For example if I did a 1 year AEGD and then a 2 year Endo residency then I would owe 3 years after right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I’ve been thinking about applying for the 2 year HPSP and I was wondering if the same opportunities exist for a 2 year recipient to specialize as a 3 and 4 year. Also what would the payback period look like? For example if I did a 1 year AEGD and then a 2 year Endo residency then I would owe 3 years after right?
You’re not going to get into endo right after your AEGD. Hate to burst your bubble.

A 2 year HPSP would be a garbage deal financially. That 2 years of support comes with a 3 year payback.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
You’re not going to get into endo right after your AEGD. Hate to burst your bubble.

A 2 year HPSP would be a garbage deal financially. That 2 years of support comes with a 3 year payback.

Big Hoss

I appreciate the response. If I don’t do the HPSP then I’m going to end up with 400k in dental school debt. I think it’s still a good deal for me because the HPSP would save me 200k in loans and I thought I would be eligible for 40k per year for 3 years in loan repayment after school. Do you agree?
Also does being in the Army boost your chances of getting into a civilian Endo residency?

Is an AEGD in the army really necessary to boost my chances of getting into a civilian Endo residency?

Is skill rot a big thing for army dentist? I read that some guys get out of the military not feeling that ready to go into private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)

Big Hoss
And what guys are getting into the endo residency? Is it people that have been in the army for a while for the most part? Or could someone who finishes pretty high in dental school have a decent shot?

Where’d you get the idea they’ll give you another $40k per year for 3 years after you get out? That’s not happening.

Endo is one of the most competitive military specialties. People who get in are typically people who’ve “earned it” with time in service. They also likely did well in dental school. I know someone in the Navy who applied 4 or 5 times before they got in to endo.

I’d personally never accept a 2 year HPSP.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Where’d you get the idea they’ll give you another $40k per year for 3 years after you get out? That’s not happening.

Endo is one of the most competitive military specialties. People who get in are typically people who’ve “earned it” with time in service. They also likely did well in dental school. I know someone in the Navy who applied 4 or 5 times before they got in to endo.

I’d personally never accept a 2 year HPSP.

Big Hoss
I would take the 2 year HPSP for a 3 year payback if specializing was the goal.

After the 3 year commitment is up, you transition to a reserve unit for the 40k/year HPLRP, while cashing in your GI bill at a civilian endo program.

In return for a 5 year military commitment (3 active, 2 reserve), you would get 2 years of dental school, an endo certificate, and 80k loan repayment (~64k after tax).