Chances of getting hired at CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajenkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm currently a P3 student and I'll be graduating in May 2022. I currently work for CVS has a pharmacist intern and have been for almost all of my time while in pharmacy school. I should have good recommendations, as all my preceptors/managers have liked me. I was wondering what the chances are that they'd hire me as a full time staff pharmacist upon graduation (and of course passing law/NAPLEX)? Now that I'm getting closer to graduating, I'm getting more and more anxious/terrified that I won't have a job.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I'm currently a P3 student and I'll be graduating in May 2022. I currently work for CVS has a pharmacist intern and have been for almost all of my time while in pharmacy school. I should have good recommendations, as all my preceptors/managers have liked me. I was wondering what the chances are that they'd hire me as a full time staff pharmacist upon graduation (and of course passing law/NAPLEX)? Now that I'm getting closer to graduating, I'm getting more and more anxious/terrified that I won't have a job.

Thanks!
Pharmacist employment market took a downward trajectory 13 years ago and has only gotten worse, never recovered. This is evidenced by a steady decrease in wages. The only one that can answer your question is the hiring authority at CVS whatever they are called. Feel them out. However, why you would ever want to work there as an rph after interning is beyond me. Have you ever observed the pharmacists you have worked with? If you want to put yourself ahead of other candidates nowadays it looks like all you have to do is pass naplex and mpje the first time around.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacist employment market took a downward trajectory 13 years ago and has only gotten worse, never recovered. This is evidenced by a steady decrease in wages. The only one that can answer your question is the hiring authority at CVS whatever they are called. Feel them out. However, why you would ever want to work there as an rph after interning is beyond me. Have you ever observed the pharmacists you have worked with? If you want to put yourself ahead of other candidates nowadays it looks like all you have to do is pass naplex and mpje the first time around.
Trust me, I’m not wanting to stay long. I just need something to pay the bills until I can find another profession that I actually enjoy. I’m already burnt out on pharmacy and I’m not even finished with school yet. I’ll probably go back and become a provider of some sort, maybe PA school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

trust me - you don’t want to get hired by CVS.

Have you started considering alternative careers to pharmacy?

Are you the poster who got Covid and had some scheduling issues etc? Sorry I am too lazy to check previous posts.

It is a sad state of affairs if these type of questions pop up here. Seriously, your chances depend on how well your DM likes you in 14 months. Will it be same DM? Will he seek input from your preceptor? Is there Covid in progress and they need to give 200 shots in 8 hours? I don't think anyone can read your DM's mind.

I just don’t think that people realize how nasty things have gotten for us.

Reactions: 3 users
trust me - you don’t want to get hired by CVS.

Have you started considering alternative careers to pharmacy?
I've considered PA school, going in straight after graduating from pharmacy school. If pharmacy had some remote/work from home jobs I'd be interested in that. Otherwise, I'd like to get out of the field altogether.

Are you the poster who got Covid and had some scheduling issues etc? Sorry I am too lazy to check previous posts.

It is a sad state of affairs if these type of questions pop up here. Seriously, your chances depend on how well your DM likes you in 14 months. Will it be same DM? Will he seek input from your preceptor? Is there Covid in progress and they need to give 200 shots in 8 hours? I don't think anyone can read your DM's mind.
Yes, that's me haha. I ended up doing a LOA until recently, so now hours don't seem to be an issue due to CVS cutting so many tech hours.

I'll have a different DM. I'm currently in school in one state, but will be moving across the country to the Northeast due to location of family. Because of that, I won't know my DM there.

Unfortunately it is a sad state of affairs for this to even be a concern - I wish the field of pharmacy was more enjoyable and sustainable.

Yes, that's me haha. I ended up doing a LOA until recently, so now hours don't seem to be an issue due to CVS cutting so many tech hours.

I'll have a different DM. I'm currently in school in one state, but will be moving across the country to the Northeast due to location of family. Because of that, I won't know my DM there.

Unfortunately it is a sad state of affairs for this to even be a concern - I wish the field of pharmacy was more enjoyable and sustainable.

I just want pharmacy to be reasonable - that’s all.. between the insurance company making it as hard as possible for someone to get a prescription, and our corporate management making it as hard as possible to get paid, we are caught in the angry middle of it all and it’s horrible.

If a patients insurance company would immediately contact a patient when their policy rejects to troubleshoot directly with the patient/provider - this would fix so many of our problems. Instead the insurance is happy to make believe that it’s the pharmacy’s fault

Reactions: 1 users
28A5C7E8-9B2B-4C1E-9E5A-92683AB1D277.jpeg

anyone else find it hilarious these threads are back to back? Take notes OP.

I've considered PA school, going in straight after graduating from pharmacy school. If pharmacy had some remote/work from home jobs I'd be interested in that. Otherwise, I'd like to get out of the field altogether.

I would drop out of pharmacy school ASAP. There is literally no reason to stay.

The best time to drop out was before starting pharmacy school. The next best time to drop out is now.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I would drop out of pharmacy school ASAP. There is literally no reason to stay.

The best time to drop out was before starting pharmacy school. The next best time to drop out is now.
I've already invested an arm and a leg, plus I only have rotations left so I'm going to stick it out and finish the degree - which gives me time to start looking towards other careers and start applying. I just won't be staying in pharmacy afterwards.

Thanks!
No job is probably better than working at CVS...

Reactions: 2 users
I've already invested an arm and a leg, plus I only have rotations left so I'm going to stick it out and finish the degree - which gives me time to start looking towards other careers and start applying. I just won't be staying in pharmacy afterwards.

You should avoid the sink cost fallacy and just start looking and applying for other careers today.

Avoid CVS and work on a new career now I'd say ... Trust me you don't want to step foot inside CVS

If you are anything like me you will probably end up fighting with them and leave

I've never worked retail so I can't really comment on that. There was a girl in my class that left during the first semester...shes a PA now. Another finished, then went straight into med school and is now in her MD residency in radiology. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics has PA's at 31% growth compared to -3% for pharmacists over the next 10 years.

Thanks!
Any CVS DM with half a brain should take you if you already proven yourself. If you are good like you say, then you are needed by them, don't forget it. Cvs is high turnover loaded with rphs who are not especially great. Cvs firing people and great ones leaving makes for a spot for you, the new grad.

if you are just starting p4 rotations, make sure you get good ones pbm,industry, ihs etc.
start networking with dm's and good pharmacy managers now at cvs to make a good impression at cvs as well. Get noticed, don't be a quiet performer. You want as many people at cvs to want you on their team, even if its a terrible job. Tell them you love the challenge and fast pace and you want an offer. Get multiple offers from cvs and other retails and evaluate.

Get on linkedin with your current cvs experience and network with retail recruiters and DMs at other companies. WG is hurting for people in various markets (they pay lower than cvs but have signing bonus all over).

Message me if you need more help

I've never worked retail so I can't really comment on that. There was a girl in my class that left during the first semester...shes a PA now. Another finished, then went straight into med school and is now in her MD residency in radiology. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics has PA's at 31% growth compared to -3% for pharmacists over the next 10 years.

How about going back to have a BSN Degree ?

Last edited:

How about going back to have a BSN Degrre
Unfortunately it makes more sense this way
I am considering the same too, you aren't alone.. at least try to see if you could still hold or keep your PharmD degree

CVS is a filthy company. Not only are they extremely unethical, your working conditions will be terrible. I will never work for them again, nor will I ever step foot in one of their stores. They just suck that bad!