Should I leave CVS for an independent pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanS1992

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a little background about me, I graduated in 2019 and landed a job at Walmart after for only 50/hr. I worked at Walmart pharmacy for 2.5 years until most recently in July, a CVS recruiter reached out to me through mutual connections and offered me 75/hr and a 10k sign on. I decided why not and went for it, well now I realize money may not be everything and is not enough to compensate for risking my license every day. A few weeks ago, I reached out to an independent pharmacy near by and they gave me an offer of 40/hr during training in the first few months and then 50/hr guaranteed after training. They also said the ceiling is limitless, if I bring in more profit I can make well into the 60s. The only catch... They don't offer a 401k or health insurance. Should I make this transition!?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I doubt the independent pharmacy will be any different and you’re gonna take a significant pay and benefit cut. Would be concerned about a “healthcare” company that doesn’t offer health insurance to its employees.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd lean towards not leaving but it's hard to say without knowing more about the independent. I've heard some horror stories about the ones around me. The good ones tend to be dramatically better than chains but the bad ones are downright ****shows.

Reactions: 2 users
Also depending on how you left walmart, it is possible to get back depending how bad they need to fill a position. Kicker is healthcare. You need insurance. If you dont have a spouse/that has insurance, then you are on your own paying that.

Reactions: 1 users
So a little background about me, I graduated in 2019 and landed a job at Walmart after for only 50/hr. I worked at Walmart pharmacy for 2.5 years until most recently in July, a CVS recruiter reached out to me through mutual connections and offered me 75/hr and a 10k sign on. I decided why not and went for it, well now I realize money may not be everything and is not enough to compensate for risking my license every day. A few weeks ago, I reached out to an independent pharmacy near by and they gave me an offer of 40/hr during training in the first few months and then 50/hr guaranteed after training. They also said the ceiling is limitless, if I bring in more profit I can make well into the 60s. The only catch... They don't offer a 401k or health insurance. Should I make this transition!?
I would lean towards not leaving due to the pay, but would like to hear about the independent. do you have more tech help in the independent than CVS?