chances of getting in, currently freshman year with a C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanpierg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my school doesnt go by a letter system but instead a number system. Currently i am in my first semester of college and my grades are 4.0 in gchem and economics, 3.5 in bio, and 2.5 in calc. Will that 2.5 totally kill me? I also plan on applying after my second year (3 year undergrad). The 2.5 is a result of receiving a 0 on a semester test. Im pretty conifdent i can pull a 4.0 for the next 3 semesters, and ive always been an excellent test taker (34 act, 1470 sat, 5 on ap bio, ap chem, and bc calc, and 4 on ap english)

Members don't see this ad.

0 on a semester test? ouch. how did that happen?

Anyway, you'll be fine. One C is not gonna ruin your chances. The fact that you have 4.0 in chem and 3.5 in bio put you in pretty good shape in terms of dental requirement courses. You don't need a 4.0 to get in a good dental school. If you have 20+ DAT scores, even with a GPA of 3.3, you have a reasonable shot at most schools assuming you have average extracurriculars and dental shadowing etc.

yea my roomate pulled all the plugs in our dormroom to put in extension cords the night before my 8am calc test, so i never made it to class...was en route to a pretty easy 4.0 in the class, instead had to get a 97 on the final to get a 2.5. The bio class i shouldve done better but the lab really screwed me over...they shoudlve made the lab its own one credit class.

Freshman year fall
Chem I
Biology I
Micro econ
Calc I

Freshman year spring
Chem II
Biology II
Macro econ
Calc II

Freshman year summer
Into to Biochemistry
English lit
Accounting
Spanish I

Sophmore year fall
Orgo I
Physiology I
Spanish II
Writing

Sophmore year spring
Orgo II
Physiology II
Psychology
College Algebra (as review for DAT)

Take DAT during summer then apply

Junior year cirruculum havnt been planned out yet but planning on taking physics then

Chances that this plan will work out?
What would be better, taking SPanish I followed by SPanish II, or taking Spanish I and Japanese I?

Anyways, lets say i average a 3.8-4.0 for the rest of the year and my sophmore year, and score around the low 20s on my DAT, and get in about 100 hours of shadowing in, what would be my chances of getting into dental school 1 year early?

Members don't see this ad :)
most dental school would like you to finish out your college courses and get a BS/BA degree. from what i know, it is highly unlikely for a sophomore to get in early, that is drop out of college their senior year because they got accepted to dental school.

you should finish out your junior year and then apply. one C won't kill you. i had about 10 Cs over the course of my college career, and i turned out fine. i guess :laugh: . just make sure your GPA scales up as each year goes by. score 19+ across the board on your DAT and you should be fine.

good luck!

if you average 3.8 the rest of the way and score in the 20s for the DAT's, most schools will accept you. Not sure about 1 year early. I mean, as long as you meet your undergrad graduation requirements, you should be in good shape.

if i apply my soph year with great scores and get rejected, will that hurt my application the year after?

For example, Lets say you have scores that will guareentee that you get into dental school if you applied your junior year, 3.8 with 20+ across the board, but u apply your sophmore year and got rejected. Will this hurt ur chances the year after, or will you still be automatically in bascially?

BTW just to add in, is it better for me to take physics instead of physiology my sophmore year so that schools have a bcp grade for me, i only planned on taking physics my junior year because physiology would help me out on the DAT while theres no physics on the DAT.

americanpierg said:
if i apply my soph year with great scores and get rejected, will that hurt my application the year after?

For example, Lets say you have scores that will guareentee that you get into dental school if you applied your junior year, 3.8 with 20+ across the board, but u apply your sophmore year and got rejected. Will this hurt ur chances the year after, or will you still be automatically in bascially?

BTW just to add in, is it better for me to take physics instead of physiology my sophmore year so that schools have a bcp grade for me, i only planned on taking physics my junior year because physiology would help me out on the DAT while theres no physics on the DAT.

Hey I was just wondering, how many times have u people taken the DAT???

americanpierg said:

I have had 4 C's in the course of my undergrad. I got into two state dental schools and one IVY. There's hope my friend :)

First hand experience,,"It will not be a problem". They rather look for a trend. let's say you did bad in your freshman year (which is not your case); They want to see how you have changed and adjusted to that. So don't worry about it a bit. Do as best as you can and be as good student as you are, You will be fine.

americanpierg said:
Hi, my school doesnt go by a letter system but instead a number system. Currently i am in my first semester of college and my grades are 4.0 in gchem and economics, 3.5 in bio, and 2.5 in calc. Will that 2.5 totally kill me? I also plan on applying after my second year (3 year undergrad). The 2.5 is a result of receiving a 0 on a semester test. Im pretty conifdent i can pull a 4.0 for the next 3 semesters, and ive always been an excellent test taker (34 act, 1470 sat, 5 on ap bio, ap chem, and bc calc, and 4 on ap english)

C's are a major problem with Dental schools. D's are OK but C is not acceptable at all. I have 4D's total and I have been accepted. However, I don't recommend anyone to try this.

Dude, one C is no problem. I recieved a C in Gen chem 2 and am accepted. Despite this one C I have a 3.6 BCP gpa. Just don't make a habit of C's and use it to motivate yourself to do better.