Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Chances of Getting In Duke ED? Input Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by Smile72696, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Smile72696

Undergrad: James Madison University
    Major: Biology
    Overall GPA: 3.51
    Pre-req GPA: 3.5-3.6
    GRE Scores: 156V, 155Q; AW 5.0
    Observation Hours: 150 (120 outpatient, 30 inpatient)
    Extracurriculars: NASM certified personal trainer, personal trainer/manager position at school gym, CPR/AED certified, member of JMU rugby team, member of pre-pt society, over 800 shadowing hours at local performance/movement center
    LOR: Orgo/Lab Professor, Physical Therapist, Boss

Hey guys, any advice/input is greatly appreciated! I'm considering applying ED to Duke. I know its a long shot, but I'm wondering if, with my stats, I should even fathom the possibility or instead choose a different school to apply ED to. Please let me know what you think, thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DPTcoasral

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Your GRE is strong compared to most applicants, you have a good shot. However, this might be too personal but I'll ask anyway: why Duke? Are you aware of how 125k tuition debt + cost of living will impact your life for the next 10 to 15 years? Or perhaps you have someone covering the cost, if so then more power to ya but IMO, you should not attend Duke if you need to take loans out to do so (you will be looking at 200k debt after interest and cost of living, eeks!).

4. Smile72696

Hi! Thank you for your response and I will definitely take that into account!

There a few reasons- First, I'm super fortunate that my parents are able to afford undergraduate tuition and the first year of PT school. And so I will only need to take out loans for the final 2 years. Second, the in-state tuition for NJ schools (my state of residency) are not that much cheaper than private/out of state tuition for a ton of schools (Kean ~90k, Stockton ~90k, Rutgers ~72k). Additionally, I love the Duke Curriculum, campus, and the Durham area overall.

One Punch Man likes this.
  5. One Punch Man

I'm envious of your financial support system haha. I'm also applying to Duke this upcoming cycle with just a sightly higher pGPA, however my cGPA is just barely above a 3.0. You should be okay with your stats.

Smile72696 likes this.
  6. Smile72696

Haha yes I'm extremely blessed and grateful! And awesome, thanks for the input. Good luck to you!

7. ACPTWannabe

Hello. I too am applying to Duke, although not ED. It will be my 3rd time overall applying to Duke and other programs. This is what I have learned from talking to their admissions representative about my application from last year. They advised to apply as early as possible, which you are obviously doing since you are applying ED. Be careful to include everything when filling out your application. They consider it better if you have participated in things like research, worked full time (which they consider 40 hours), held leadership roles, played sports, etc. Somehow although I uploaded my resume last year it did not transfer over that I had worked full time, done research, or participate in a summer program at UNC-Chapel Hill. They also look for diversity in shadowing/volunteering. Lastly, they are one of the view programs that allow you to use exercise physiology to fulfil a biology prereq and biomechanics to replace a physics prereq. I don't know if that will help boost your prereq GPA or not. Overall, I think you are in decent shape.
    Undergrad: Appalachian State University (GO APPS)
    Major: Exercise Science with a Medical Humanities Minor
    Overall GPA: 3.43
    Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (currently depending on the program) I am currently retaking Anatomy & Physiology I and plan to retake II and Physics I this fall.
    GRE Scores: V162, Q152, AW 4.5 (AW could go up I retook the GRE today to get that math score. Sadly,I didn't improve as much as I would have liked. I went from a 149 to a 152, but my verbal went up from 157 to 162.)
    Observation Hours: 1200 hours (1140 in out patient clinic that see ortho, neuro, wound care, and geriatric, 30 in in-patient, 30 in aquatics) Planned 384 more hours in rehabiliation hospital.
    Extracurriculars: 2 different jobs, Health Professions Club (several leadership roles), Exercise Science Club, Governing Board for Residence Hall first two years, SEP at UNC-Chapel Hill Participate, Research in Exercise Science Lab for 3 years, Journal Club, 60 hours at on-campus therapy clinic (not counted above because it was overseen by Athletic Trainers), and volunteering during the summer in PT clinic. Currently working full-time, retaking classes, and volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital.
    LOR: 3 PTs, 1 Professor

8. Smile72696

Wow that is a lot of helpful information!! Definitely a lot to consider, thank you so much and good luck!

9. ACPTWannabe

Good luck to you too!

10. One Punch Man

Were your stats that high in your previous two application cycles? How many programs did you apply to? I find it hard to believe that someone with such high stats is applying for a third round of applications.

11. ACPTWannabe

A bad combination of applying later in the cycle due to money issues, low GRE scores in Quant until I retook this Saturday (and my quant is still on the low side), and a science GPA that's hovering around 3.0 thanks to a trio of Cs. A C- in organic chemistry I, a C+ in anatomy and physiology I the first time I took it, and a C in Physics I that first time I took it.

12. MBPB

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Have you been getting interviews in the past cycles at least? Your stats look really good for still not having been accepted.

edit: Did not see the previous replies

13. ACPTWannabe

I have gotten invites to two interviews and gone to one. I'm hoping submitting early will help me.

14. MBPB

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Well that's a good sign. Try and do some mock interviews before you have them to help out then maybe. Sound like you are close!