chances of getting in/ last minute application suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMKJDI408

Reaction score
Hello! this is my second application cycle. I applied for the 2017-18 cycle fairly late (secondaries submitted in late October and early November), and I received 1 interview from West Virginia University (WVU). I was wait listed throughout the entire remainder of the application cycle.

This year I have reapplied (schools listed below) and I am taking a gap year working as a scribe in urology at MGH. I tried to apply earlier with most of my applications being completed in late August-september. I graduated with a degree in biological sciences from a private college. My final cumulative GPA was 3.665 and my science GPA was slightly higher than that at 3.7. My GPA trended upward with every year having a higher GPA than the prior year. My MCAT score was 514 with CARS being my best section. I have experience in research as both a research assistant and completing a research project during undergrad. I previously worked as an ophthalmic technician full time during one summer. I played varsity college lacrosse as well as being involved in several other leadership rolls for organizations. I completed approx. 200 hours of volunteering during college, but very little was in a medical setting.

School Apps completed:
MD:
Ohio state U, U of Toledo, Boston University, Case western U, Rosalind Franklin U, Drexel U, Temple U, Marshall U, NEOMED, Northwestern U, Rush, Thomas Jefferson U, Tufts U, U of Chicago (Pritzker), U of Cincinnati, U of North Dakota, U of Wisconsin, West Virginia U, Wright State U.

DO: Ohio University, Lake erie college (main campus in Pennsylvania), Lake erie college (Bradenton), Lincoln memorial university, Philadelphia College of osteo., Arizona college of osteo (Midwestern).

Thus far, I had an interview with NEOMED in October. I have interviews scheduled for WVU and Lake Erie college of osteopathic medicine both in January. I don't know a lot about the admission outlook for myself at Lake Erie. I believe the interview at NEOMED went well, but there are only has 20-25 spots available to for students that aren't affiliated with the specific Ohio schools they are partnered with which I did not come from. WVU , based on last year's stats, interviewed a very large number of students compared to how many they admitted (particularly for out of state students like myself). I am a legal resident of Ohio.

So, I cannot help but be disappointed I have not heard from other Ohio schools at least. I dont feel good about my chances at either NEOMED or WVU, and in all honesty I would prefer to go to an MD program if possible. I want to know what my chances might be of still hearing form the other schools listed? and is there any school (MD or DO) I should quickly apply to this week?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At this late date I suggest adding more DO schools such as MU-COM, UP-KYCOM, WVSOM.
based on your knowledge, should I still hold out some hope to get another interview with any MD schools? or at this point should I assume I have been silently denied?

Members don't see this ad :)
based on your knowledge, should I still hold out some hope to get another interview with any MD schools? or at this point should I assume I have been silently denied?
You could receive interviews invites until the end of January, with your state schools the most likely. Toledo interviews over 1/3 of Ohio residents who complete secondaries and Wright State over 1/4. With your stats I would be surprised if you did not receive interviews at those 2 schools.

Hello! this is my second application cycle. I applied for the 2017-18 cycle fairly late (secondaries submitted in late October and early November), and I received 1 interview from West Virginia University (WVU). I was wait listed throughout the entire remainder of the application cycle.

This year I have reapplied (schools listed below) and I am taking a gap year working as a scribe in urology at MGH. I tried to apply earlier with most of my applications being completed in late August-september. I graduated with a degree in Neuroscience from Muskingum University. My final cumulative GPA was 3.665 and my science GPA was slightly higher than that at 3.7. My GPA trended upward with every year having a higher GPA than the prior year. My MCAT score was 514 with CARS being my best section. I have experience in research as both a research assistant and completing a research project during undergrad. I previously worked as an ophthalmic technician full time during one summer. I played varsity college lacrosse as well as being involved in several other leadership rolls for organizations. I completed approx. 200 hours of volunteering during college, but very little was in a medical setting.

School Apps completed:
MD:
Ohio state U, U of Toledo, Boston University, Case western U, Rosalind Franklin U, Drexel U, Temple U, Marshall U, NEOMED, Northwestern U, Rush, Thomas Jefferson U, Tufts U, U of Chicago (Pritzker), U of Cincinnati, U of North Dakota, U of Wisconsin, West Virginia U, Wright State U.

DO: Ohio University, Lake erie college (main campus in Pennsylvania), Lake erie college (Bradenton), Lincoln memorial university, Philadelphia College of osteo., Arizona college of osteo (Midwestern).

Thus far, I had an interview with NEOMED in October. I have interviews scheduled for WVU and Lake Erie college of osteopathic medicine both in January. I don't know a lot about the admission outlook for myself at Lake Erie. I believe the interview at NEOMED went well, but there are only has 20-25 spots available to for students that aren't affiliated with the specific Ohio schools they are partnered with which I did not come from. WVU , based on last year's stats, interviewed a very large number of students compared to how many they admitted (particularly for out of state students like myself). I am a legal resident of Ohio.

So, I cannot help but be disappointed I have not heard from other Ohio schools at least. I dont feel good about my chances at either NEOMED or WVU, and in all honesty I would prefer to go to an MD program if possible. I want to know what my chances might be of still hearing form the other schools listed? and is there any school (MD or DO) I should quickly apply to this week?
This being your second app cycle, beggars can't be choosy, and so you need to have DO schools on your list.

Rewrite all your essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

Here is a more realistic school list.
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe )
U VM
U IA
U Toledo and all other OH state schools
USF Morsani
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
U WV
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

FYI - edit your initial post to remove your college and major, you don’t want people you know (or committees) specifically finding you on here.

This being your second app cycle, beggars can't be choosy, and so you need to have DO schools on your list.

Rewrite all your essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

Here is a more realistic school list.
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe )
U VM
U IA
U Toledo and all other OH state schools
USF Morsani
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
U WV
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

I just received an interview with Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine. Is this the LMU with the accreditation warning you are referring to in your response? Assuming this is the LMU you are referring to is the situation bad enough that I shouldn't consider the school due to the risk of going and losing accreditation?

Also, I looked to find information about the accreditation issue. I assume they don't want to advertise the problem, but I could not find any information about the situation. If you could inform me where I can investigate the issue as well that would be appreciated.

Thanks!