Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

chances of getting in

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by dsev, Sep 30, 1999.

1. dsev

dsev New Member

I was wondering what my chances are of getting into osteopathic school. I have a 23 mcat (10v,7P,6B)a 3.45 overall gpa, 3.2 science gpa, and a 4.0 graduate gpa with a Masters Degree in an unrelated subject. I am 33 years old, bilingual (english and spanish) , spent two years doing volunteer work in South America, volunteered for 8 months in the emergency department at a local hospital, have more than 4 years experience working for local government and now work for a non-profit housing organization (for the last 3 years) that houses the poor. Any thougts?

2. dsev

dsev New Member

I forgot to mention that my grandfather was an osteopath (now deceased) my cousin is currently an osteopath, and I have two brothers in law that are M.D.s. I am very dedicated to osteopathy and want to be a primary care physician in a rural area. Am I dreaming or is there hope?

3. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I say go for it. It couldn't hurt right? Do it soon though.

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

dsev,

Have you shadowed any Osteopathic Physicians? I would highly recommend it. It will improve your chances at any school. It looks like you have a wealth of volunter experiences and health care experience as well. Your grades are more than adequate. However, your MCAT scores are a little on the low side. That's not to say that you can't get in. There's students here that have 6's and 7's on their MCAT and are getting interviews. I would apply and see what happens if I were you.

Have you already sent out primaries, secondaries? If not the longer you hesitate the more difficult your chances become.

DocGibby

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dsev

dsev New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have sent out the primary application to ACCOMAS but one of my schools screwed up and didn't send out my transcript until yesterday.

I have shadowed an allopathic physician who spent his first two years of medical training at an osteopathic school (Western U) and then transferred to Brown University, at the request of his commanding officer. The funny thing is, this allopathic physician is philosophically an osteopath and uses osteopathy on his patients (I was one of them!). In addition, my current physician is a D.O. and he is more than willing to write letters of recommendation for me.

6. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My age and gpa/scores were almost identical to yours. Yes, it is possible to get in the first time around. If not, be ready to apply again next year. Search the previous post for similar questions. There are tons of them and most were well replied to and will be motivating. They were for me!

8404 (TUCOM 2003)

7. Louigee

Louigee Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am currently attending Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center (formerly known as UOMHS) and recommend you apply. DMU has an excellent history of accepting applicants such as yours. They accept a high number of non-traditional applicants which have a variety of experiences and an understanding of the profession. Good luck.

"Louigee"

8. young guy np

young guy np Member
    10+ Year Member

sounds like you are determined, and i would go for it. DO school like non traditional applicants, such as yourself. people get in with your stats, if you were wondering. good luck

young guy np