chances of getting into anaesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rberks2003

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am a doctor working as a resident in anaesthesia in uk.i will be having a couple of years of experience in anaesthetics in uk before trying to get into residency in US. What r my chances of getting into residency with a average score of 90.
please reply.

rberks

Members don't see this ad.

rberks2003 said:
Hi guys,
I am a doctor working as a resident in anaesthesia in uk.i will be having a couple of years of experience in anaesthetics in uk before trying to get into residency in US. What r my chances of getting into residency with a average score of 90.
please reply.

rberks

90 on what, step I two-digit? (scratches head...)

Members don't see this ad :)
cytoskelement said:
90 on what, step I two-digit? (scratches head...)

yes 90 is on the 2 digit score.since i have anaesthetic experience do i still need to do the base year apart from anaesthesia.

rberks

I think you will have to redo the whole process. I know a anesthesiologist from a foreign country, who has to start the process from scratch. Apart from that, I know a physician from U.K., who repeated the entire Neuro-surgery residency, although he was a practicing neuro-surgeon in U.K.. but you will certainly be a very competitive applicant. :thumbup:

GasMD said:
I think you will have to redo the whole process. I know a anesthesiologist from a foreign country, who has to start the process from scratch. Apart from that, I know a physician from U.K., who repeated the entire Neuro-surgery residency, although he was a practicing neuro-surgeon in U.K.. but you will certainly be a very competitive applicant. :thumbup:

thank you for the reply

rberks

For a completely worthless 2 cents:
I guess years ago (not sure how many years ago -but I don't think its too distant) UK anesthesiologists (anaesthetists, sorry) were regarded to having the best training in the world and were being actively recruited to the US. Anyway, if that stereotype still exists in PD minds (who started practicing years ago) couled with a 90 on the boards (I think thats on the high side of average??) I would think your in good shape, especially for a non-US applicant. Anyway, you should apply sooner than later since you'll have to repeat your residency anyway in the US.

aredoubleyou said:
For a completely worthless 2 cents:
I guess years ago (not sure how many years ago -but I don't think its too distant) UK anesthesiologists (anaesthetists, sorry) were regarded to having the best training in the world and were being actively recruited to the US. Anyway, if that stereotype still exists in PD minds (who started practicing years ago) couled with a 90 on the boards (I think thats on the high side of average??) I would think your in good shape, especially for a non-US applicant. Anyway, you should apply sooner than later since you'll have to repeat your residency anyway in the US.

Yeah, I second that. My Chairman was English, and the dude never got excited, and could intubate an ant with a Mac 3. No matter what kinda difficult airway we had, if he was in the House, he got the tube in.

C'mon over, bro. Lets have a beer.

jetproppilot said:
Yeah, I second that. My Chairman was English, and the dude never got excited, and could intubate an ant with a Mac 3. No matter what kinda difficult airway we had, if he was in the House, he got the tube in.

C'mon over, bro. Lets have a beer.

Along those lines, Mike Ramsay at Baylor University Medical Center of Dallas is a UK transplant and is the renaissance man of anesthesiologists. I believe he is still the only private practice anesthesiologist who sits on the Society of Academic Anesthesiologists board. He is super efficient and fast clinically and still puts out tons of papers (liver transplants, Precedex, etc.) and presents/presides over most of the liver transplant organizations' meetings.