chances of getting into buffalo after dec 1.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ediig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who had an interview at Buffalo (pre-dec 1), do you know by any chance, how many spots they will still have available for people with interviews after the dec-1 cutoff? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I interviewed on Friday 12/7 and called the following Wednesday and was told I was accepted. I know a bunch of others that interviewed after the 1st and are in so you definitely do have hope. People at Buffalo are easy to talk to so don't be too worried about the interview.

Last year I interviewed on Friday 12/7 and called the following Wednesday and was told I was accepted. I know a bunch of others that interviewed after the 1st and are in so you definitely do have hope. People at Buffalo are easy to talk to so don't be too worried about the interview.

Oh thanks for the info, actually, this is the thing, although I was accepted at Temple and I am very happy about it, Buffalo is considerably cheaper for out-of-state than Temple. Can you tell me, what vibe did you get from the school? I am very interested to know if they are more clinical or more research oriented. I want to go to a school with a large patient pool. I was very impressed with Temple's numbers and procedure requirements that students must complete prior to graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a student at UB now and we are more clinically focused. We have optional paid research opportunities in the summer but not required. I know we do get a good clinical experience at Buffalo but I have always heard that Temple is one school that does have really high numbers for procedures that students do. But Buffalo is good and has some things changing to get us started in the clinics earlier on. Not clear on all the details but we heard this week that next year we are supposed to start a program where 1st years are paired with 3rd years, and 2nd years with 4th. and I think they said we will be spending a half day a week in the clinic with our upperclass partner assisting and learning the way things go in the clinic so we will be familiar when we get there for real in 3rd year and dont waste and time. Also at the end of second year we were told we will have more opportunities to do simple work on the 4th year's patients and then when they graduate we take them over so we are familiar with them. I think there was also talk about a sim lab but I dont think my class would get any benefit from it but I think class of '13 would (you can ask more about that at the interview because i'm not certain)

Yeah Buffalo is cheap out of state, and you can get instate after your 1st year. Tuition is going up a little but its still 10's of thousands cheaper than Temple.

I'm a student at UB now and we are more clinically focused. We have optional paid research opportunities in the summer but not required. I know we do get a good clinical experience at Buffalo but I have always heard that Temple is one school that does have really high numbers for procedures that students do. But Buffalo is good and has some things changing to get us started in the clinics earlier on. Not clear on all the details but we heard this week that next year we are supposed to start a program where 1st years are paired with 3rd years, and 2nd years with 4th. and I think they said we will be spending a half day a week in the clinic with our upperclass partner assisting and learning the way things go in the clinic so we will be familiar when we get there for real in 3rd year and dont waste and time. Also at the end of second year we were told we will have more opportunities to do simple work on the 4th year's patients and then when they graduate we take them over so we are familiar with them. I think there was also talk about a sim lab but I dont think my class would get any benefit from it but I think class of '13 would (you can ask more about that at the interview because i'm not certain)

Yeah Buffalo is cheap out of state, and you can get instate after your 1st year. Tuition is going up a little but its still 10's of thousands cheaper than Temple.

So it seems that you are happy with UB. Can you tell me more about the school. In general, is it very competitive among the students or it is like friendly? And how do you change your out-of-state to in-state? Is it just by living there for over 12 months? Or did it involve buying a place? Alright, thanks for all the info, it has been very useful. Now I am thinking that I should go to that interview.

I like the school. The teachers seem to really care about the students and are always willing to help us out. So far everyone gets along and there isn't a lot of competition between student (though we wont have any idea of class rank yet since we haven't finished first semester yet and that might influence people but for the most part everyone gets along pretty well). Of course some people think some others are annoying, etc. but no one is out to mess with other people.

YOu can get in-state tuition first year if you buy a house, otherwise you just need to have your lease for 12 months before the semester you are requesting in-state for and do some other things like maybe an NY bank account and an NY drivers license.