Chances of getting into dpt school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBrownGuy_1598

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so my college life has been a very interesting one to say the least, I started college as a pre med but figured that it wasn’t for me and fell in love with pt school the problem with me was that I happened to deal with a few health issues during my time at my original college ended up dropping my gpa to a 1.6 and I have recently transferred to a community college and am graduating this semester but I did fail a few pre reqs in the past namely gen bio 1 and chem 1. I just retook those getting a B- in Bio and a B in chem 1, an A in a&p 1 and a C in a&p 2 at my community college. I am looking to transfer to either liu Brooklyn or Brooklyn college to finish my undergrad but I’m feeling a bit unsure about my chances of getting into a dpt school, I also am shadowing at a sports and spine care clinic in the Bronx. So any feedback or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re going to have to retake those course and work really hard to get A’s. You may look at taking some other course to boost your GPA. Besides that I think you have a good chance at making it in. My first few quarters weren’t too hot either, but I worked on improving and wrote about how I’ve matured.

Some colleges only look at your last 60 credit hours so if you retake the courses and bring up the grades you might be good

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi so my college life has been a very interesting one to say the least, I started college as a pre med but figured that it wasn’t for me and fell in love with pt school the problem with me was that I happened to deal with a few health issues during my time at my original college ended up dropping my gpa to a 1.6 and I have recently transferred to a community college and am graduating this semester but I did fail a few pre reqs in the past namely gen bio 1 and chem 1. I just retook those getting a B- in Bio and a B in chem 1, an A in a&p 1 and a C in a&p 2 at my community college. I am looking to transfer to either liu Brooklyn or Brooklyn college to finish my undergrad but I’m feeling a bit unsure about my chances of getting into a dpt school, I also am shadowing at a sports and spine care clinic in the Bronx. So any feedback or advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Definitely don't apply to PT school with any grade of a C. I had some B's on my pre-reqs and I got in, so that's ok as long as there aren't too many. Also, get observation hours in a variety of settings- not just outpatient. Make sure you do decent on your GRE, write good essays, get in some volunteer work and you should be good

I graduated from Brooklyn college with a major in exercise science. I highly recommend looking into the professors that teach the science courses that you will be taking/retaking because there are only a few options at Brooklyn college and some of them make the courses more difficult than it should be. Also the general science courses here such as chem and physics are 5 credits each which is higher than the necessary credits required for PT school.

Definitely don't apply to PT school with any grade of a C. I had some B's on my pre-reqs and I got in, so that's ok as long as there aren't too many. Also, get observation hours in a variety of settings- not just outpatient. Make sure you do decent on your GRE, write good essays, get in some volunteer work and you should be good
I had a C in my Bio I and Chem II prereq courses and still got 4 acceptances so far and waitlisted at 4 other schools so I wouldn’t worry too much about the C’s. But having the rest of your app stand out will help a ton.

I had a C in my Bio I and Chem II prereq courses and still got 4 acceptances so far and waitlisted at 4 other schools so I wouldn’t worry too much about the C’s. But having the rest of your app stand out will help a ton.
If you don’t mind me asking what were your stats and where did you get accepted?

If you don’t mind me asking what were your stats and where did you get accepted?
Sure thing

1st gen college student
2 yr community college: Moraine Valley - 3.15
University: University of Illinois at Chicago - 3.91 Summa Cum Laude
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.41
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.63 (varies depending on school)

Extra Curric: Research assistant at a biomechanics research lab at UIC, volunteer at UIC Physical Therapy Faculty Practice, ~750 hours combined work/shadowing in an outpatient orthopedic PT clinic, CPR/BLS/AED certifications.

Applied: Bradley, Midwestern DG, UIC, Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin University, OSU, NIU, and Governors State

Accepted: Midwestern DG (from waitlist), Rosalind Franklin University, NIU (from waitlist), Governors State

Waitlisted: UIC, Northwestern, Bradley, OSU

My grades were not the best in the beginning of college due to some really bad family and financial situations, which really brought my grades down and even caused me to leave school mid 2nd semester in freshman year (got 3 F's because of it LOL). I came back to school tho and had a strong upward trend in my grades after finding PT, getting out of those situations, and retaking those classes. I believe having a good upward trend in grades, especially in my kines and A&P classes, and having research experience helped to boost my application and show schools that I was more than those ****ty grades I had in the past. Also, on PTCAS there will be a section discussing your academic history where you can write about extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grades, which is where I explained my experiences.

Hey! As a current PT student I'll try and answer your question to the best of my ability. To begin, yes it is possible for you to get into PT school with C's, B's, and even F's. You have to work hard to get a good GRE score to help offset the lower GPA, and re-take classes to try and achieve the 3.0 minimum. When I applied, I had 2 C's in my pre-req classes (organic chem 1, General Chem 2) and had A's in the rest of them. I got accepted into 11/12 schools with a 3.6 GPA (cumulative), 3.6 pre req, and 3.4 science. I took extra science courses to help boost my lower science GPA due to the C's i received. I highly encourage you to do the same! Take lower level science courses to help increase that GPA. You can get into PT school with C's. Early on in my college career I withdrew from 5 classes which gave me 5 W's on my transcript. With hard work and dedication, you can also make it happen! Work hard, re-take some classes if you need to, and study for the GRE!! If you have any questions feel free to message me and i'll help you out as much as I can! Best of luck this upcoming semester!

Hey just want to say it is definitely possible just might take more time and money. I didnt do well in undergrad (I was young and didnt know what i wanted to in life) I had a 2.7 gpa, I had to take a bunch of pre req classes again which cost time and money but over time I think I have a strong application and got my GPA high enough to apply to schools that I want to. I am thankful to have been accepted to one of my top schools.

If you have the resources to take classes over, then do that. Some schools take the best grade of the two, some average it out, so that might make a difference. Some schools advise to take a different course to get a better grade for the pre req GPA. For example, you got a C in Bio 201, take microbio and get an A and then use that for your pre req GPA when applying.

Its still tough, I got rejected from schools that I think I would have gotten into if not for my low gpa but it is doable. Good luck!

Sure thing

1st gen college student
2 yr community college: Moraine Valley - 3.15
University: University of Illinois at Chicago - 3.91 Summa Cum Laude
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.41
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.63 (varies depending on school)

Extra Curric: Research assistant at a biomechanics research lab at UIC, volunteer at UIC Physical Therapy Faculty Practice, ~750 hours combined work/shadowing in an outpatient orthopedic PT clinic, CPR/BLS/AED certifications.

Applied: Bradley, Midwestern DG, UIC, Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin University, OSU, NIU, and Governors State

Accepted: Midwestern DG (from waitlist), Rosalind Franklin University, NIU (from waitlist), Governors State

Waitlisted: UIC, Northwestern, Bradley, OSU

My grades were not the best in the beginning of college due to some really bad family and financial situations, which really brought my grades down and even caused me to leave school mid 2nd semester in freshman year (got 3 F's because of it LOL). I came back to school tho and had a strong upward trend in my grades after finding PT, getting out of those situations, and retaking those classes. I believe having a good upward trend in grades, especially in my kines and A&P classes, and having research experience helped to boost my application and show schools that I was more than those ****ty grades I had in the past. Also, on PTCAS there will be a section discussing your academic history where you can write about extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grades, which is where I explained my experiences.
Honestly, go to Rosalind Franklin! I wish i would have gone there. I go to UIC and it is not great and quality of education is not great either. Happy to talk more over private message about UIC too.