Chances of getting into Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JavariPharmD23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what to do here. I’ve repeated gen chem 2, gen bio 2 and passed both with a c. I got through o chem 1 with a c but ochem 2 is where I really messed up. I’ve taken it 3 times and failed. This semester I’m retaking ochem 1 so review and I’m at the top of my class currently with a 95% in the class as of now. I feel like I have a really good understanding of Ochem 1 topics and retaking this class has made me love chemistry even more. I’m taking organic chemistry 2 next semester but I’m afraid that my gpa will hinder me from getting into any pharmacy school. My current gpa is a 2.1. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I Gould go from here to strengthen my gpa/ pharmcas application? If you any one has been through a simular situation; what did you do? Please save the negative comments and insults. I only want solutions.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools don't have a minimum GPA requirement - I would focus on those schools. Finishing your bachelor's degree and getting work experience in a pharmacy will strengthen your application. You'll have a hard time getting into a public school, but you probably will get accepted to at least one school if you apply broadly to private schools, especially the newer schools. Honestly, even though it probably isn't impossible with your academic record, I would question whether any school that admits you is really looking out for what is in your best interest, or if they are just taking advantage of you. I would be very concerned about your ability to successfully complete pharmacy school. If I got Cs in lower division science classes and failed ochem three times - even if I really loved chemistry - that would be a huge red flag that I may be pursuing the wrong field of study. Why are you so intent on going to pharmacy school?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure what to do here. I’ve repeated gen chem 2, gen bio 2 and passed both with a c. I got through o chem 1 with a c but ochem 2 is where I really messed up. I’ve taken it 3 times and failed. This semester I’m retaking ochem 1 so review and I’m at the top of my class currently with a 95% in the class as of now. I feel like I have a really good understanding of Ochem 1 topics and retaking this class has made me love chemistry even more. I’m taking organic chemistry 2 next semester but I’m afraid that my gpa will hinder me from getting into any pharmacy school. My current gpa is a 2.1. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I Gould go from here to strengthen my gpa/ pharmcas application? If you any one has been through a simular situation; what did you do? Please save the negative comments and insults. I only want solutions.

Facts do not care about your feelings and you need to reflect on this before finding a solution.

Realize: Your top of the class currently after retaking second semester Ochem 3 times (still failed) and currently doing your first semester of ochem TWICE...if you put anyone in a class twice they better be top notch don’t you think? Yet your not consistently reflecting this from your other courses. Pharmacy school itself is not easy and you’ll be taking 16-19 credits of pure science / law / calculations / therapeutics. Remember, even though a C is passing, it’s not..it will burn you out with nothing but loans to throw at you...

Here’s what you do:

1) Go work in a pharmacy if you have not already and stop your schooling temporarily. You need to clear your head and gain experience while remediating your grades with time.

2) After 1-2 years of related work (I suggest join the reserves as a pharm tech to help you stick out of the crowd) return back and start your pre-reqs again.

3) With your return you NEED to focus on getting nothing but A’s. None of this C nonsense in required courses.

I know someone who failed out of school and joined the military (one of my soldiers) and then returned to school. Nothing but A’s while working in a pharmacy on active duty...that will catch Adcoms attention..

OP your looking for a faster way but your investment needs to be on you....take a break then return...follow what I say and you’ll get in (you’ll just be paying back half-a-million in loans and never be financially stable but that’s another story).

TLDR; it would be a crying shame for you to get accepted now. Take time off and work. Go back to studies and kill it after a year or two. Get accepted at the cost of a lifetime of debt.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools don't have a minimum GPA requirement - I would focus on those schools. Finishing your bachelor's degree and getting work experience in a pharmacy will strengthen your application. You'll have a hard time getting into a public school, but you probably will get accepted to at least one school if you apply broadly to private schools, especially the newer schools. Honestly, even though it probably isn't impossible with your academic record, I would question whether any school that admits you is really looking out for what is in your best interest, or if they are just taking advantage of you. I would be very concerned about your ability to successfully complete pharmacy school. If I got Cs in lower division science classes and failed ochem three times - even if I really loved chemistry - that would be a huge red flag that I may be pursuing the wrong field of study. Why are you so intent on going to pharmacy school?
Thank you for your response I wat to go to pharmacy school because I’ve seen pharmacist in action. I work in a pharmacy and I see how helpful and knowledgeable they are about medications. Patients come in from the doctors office nervous and scared about taking some of these meds. I’ve seen pharmacy reassure and give sick patients some relief and they are very greatful. This made me want to become a pharmacist because I realized how valuable their knowledge and skill set it. It kinda bugs me how people underestimate them sometimes

Thank you for your response I wat to go to pharmacy school because I’ve seen pharmacist in action. I work in a pharmacy and I see how helpful and knowledgeable they are about medications. Patients come in from the doctors office nervous and scared about taking some of these meds. I’ve seen pharmacy reassure and give sick patients some relief and they are very greatful. This made me want to become a pharmacist because I realized how valuable their knowledge and skill set it. It kinda bugs me how people underestimate them sometimes

What other professions have you seen in action? Many different professions provide reassurance and relief to sick patients, and/or involve acquiring valuable knowledge and skills. Why pharmacy specifically?

I’ve seen doctors and dentist in action as well but I don’t like blood and guts. I can still help people and provide the reassurance and comfort as a pharmacist. Also I looked into a couple lectures on pharmacology and and I thought it was fascinating

What other professions have you seen in action? Many different professions provide reassurance and relief to sick patients, and/or involve acquiring valuable knowledge and skills. Why pharmacy specifically?
I also volunteered at a Pharmacy schools Free Clinc outreach program where patients come in and get healthcare advise. It as only for a day though.

I don't know that a professional school in the country allows an applicant to fail a science pre req three times and still be considered

I don't know that a professional school in the country allows an applicant to fail a science pre req three times and still be considered
I know a few pharmacist that reapeated some undergrad classes and become great pharmacist which why I’m looking for solutions and not criticizim if your not here to help the leave. Gpa does not equate to competency or intelligence.

It's great that you are trying to get in and all and re-taking all of these classes. Just FYI, the basic sciences may not end in undergrad. My school required us to take biochem, organic chem and physical chem in the first year of pharmacy school. Make sure you do well in all your chem classes as they may come back to haunt you in pharmacy school again.

Reactions: 1 user
It's great that you are trying to get in and all and re-taking all of these classes. Just FYI, the basic sciences may not end in undergrad. My school required us to take biochem, organic chem and physical chem in the first year of pharmacy school. Make sure you do well in all your chem classes as they may come back to haunt you in pharmacy school again.
I’m trying to learn as much as I can and I’m going to keep all of my notes

This would be a legitimate question. Considering how terrible the job market is and who knows what the future holds for those who are graduating in 5-10 years, I would redirect my time and energy towards something more stable. Even if you somehow got into a pharmacy school after trying so hard, you gotta ask yourself, was it all worth it? If you think you can pull it off, I'd try to go to med school if you're wanting to stay in medical field. Or even a PA or nursing school. If not, then go do something that has a better future with less effort involved.