Chances of Getting Into Post-Bac Program for Law Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onehundred

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a student at a top-10 law school and finished first year in top third of my class. I am interested in my chances at post-bac pre-med program.

I scored 770 verbal 770 writing 740 math

I have a political science degree from top-20 Undergraduate university. I graduated with a 3.45 GPA (slightly upward trend).

What are my chances at a post-bac program that could get me into a medical school?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

also, I scored 170 on my LSAT (98%) - not sure if that will help

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You got responses in your previous threads, smiler. Maybe if you spent more time studying than flooding the postbac section with irritating threads you would be performing better than your bottom third performance in your t2-3 ls.

OK i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I did a search and didn't find much ... would you be so kind to point me towards these previous threads??? (which I didn't author)

Last edited:
LOL i just read the other threads that you are talking about ...

Did it cross your mind that more than one person in law school might want to become a doctor?

I PROMISE you that I have never posted on this website before. I have posted on a similar site for law students ( TLS ) and I have gotten alot of good info there. I was hoping this forum might be similar.

To everyone else reading this, I apologize for clogging up this forum by arguing with "Smiley". I would still really appreciate any insight.

Last edited:
I am currently a student at a top-10 law school and finished first year in top third of my class. I am interested in my chances at post-bac pre-med program.

I scored 770 verbal 770 writing 740 math

I have a political science degree from top-20 Undergraduate university. I graduated with a 3.45 GPA (slightly upward trend).

What are my chances at a post-bac program that could get me into a medical school?

Thanks!!!

Well, are you interested in a post-bac program that will enhance your application for MD, DO, dental, or pharm? Post-bac programs do look favorably upon career-changers, but you will need a very good reason for why you are switching fields.

If you google "post bac programs", click the first link (aamc). It has a list of almost every post-bac program, and you will want to choose one that's for career-changers.

Both your undergrad and grad GPA will be looked at almost equally, since neither are science-based. Your GPAs are decent enough to apply. However, I would not rely on SAT scores, as most programs will ask for either GRE scores or MCAT/DAT/PCAT (since you haven't taken the basic science classes, take the GRE).

You're going to need a 1.5-2 year program, where you take all the pre-reqs (gen chem, ochem, bio, physics, math) and maybe a few upper-level science classes.

You have a really long road ahead of you. At least 2-3 years before you will even start medical school. Applications for almost all post-bac programs starting this fall are closed already, so you will have to wait til late winter/early spring to apply for next year's programs. Best of luck.

Well, are you interested in a post-bac program that will enhance your application for MD, DO, dental, or pharm? Post-bac programs do look favorably upon career-changers, but you will need a very good reason for why you are switching fields.

If you google "post bac programs", click the first link (aamc). It has a list of almost every post-bac program, and you will want to choose one that's for career-changers.

Both your undergrad and grad GPA will be looked at almost equally, since neither are science-based. Your GPAs are decent enough to apply. However, I would not rely on SAT scores, as most programs will ask for either GRE scores or MCAT/DAT/PCAT (since you haven't taken the basic science classes, take the GRE).

You're going to need a 1.5-2 year program, where you take all the pre-reqs (gen chem, ochem, bio, physics, math) and maybe a few upper-level science classes.

You have a really long road ahead of you. At least 2-3 years before you will even start medical school. Applications for almost all post-bac programs starting this fall are closed already, so you will have to wait til late winter/early spring to apply for next year's programs. Best of luck.

Thanks so much!

I am interested in post-bac program that would boost my chances for medical school.

Also, I have a public intoxication charge (that was dismissed) and two university sanctions in undergrad for alcohol related offenses. Would these hurt my chances of post-bac acceptance and med school acceptance ?

You got responses in your previous threads, smiler. Maybe if you spent more time studying than flooding the postbac section with irritating threads you would be performing better than your bottom third performance in your t2-3 ls.

I had the same exact thought! :thumbup:

Oh hi, me one year ago lol.

I also scored a 170 on the LSAT, got into several T10s (MVP), but I decided NOT to go. Instead I enrolled in a local post bacc and started working on the science prereqs and have been doing really well. I am about to start studying for MCATs and will be applying for med school next summer.

Did you take any of the prereqs in undergrad?

You have a better gpa than I did + better undergrad (I was a splitter) so if you haven't taken many of the prereqs you have a shot at some of the top career changer post baccs. Take a look at Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Mills, Scripps, HES, Temple BCMS, etc.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/getprogs.cfm

Try to get into one that has formal linkages to medical schools. If you can't get in, then I would just go cheap and local and shoot for great grades + good MCAT (this is what I ended up doing).

Also, I disagree about you having to take the GRE- you have good SATs so you don't need to take the GRE. The reason why some ppl take the GRE to get into the better post baccs is b/c they have subpar SATs. The most competitive post baccs do not like to take risks- they want ppl they think will make it to keep their med school placement % high. Think of how desperate law schools are to maintain medians.

Instead of taking the GRE, I would start volunteering and trying to pickup clinical experience. Good luck.

Btw, shoot me a pm about why you're leaving law school. I knew it was rough out there but if top 1/3 at T10 is leaving?! smh Are you going to go back and 2L/ do OCI?

This.

Actually I go to tier 1 law school. OP, sorry for smiley27 attacking you. He has a disdain for me. You have great numbers so I would say ur in good shape.

Smiley27, way to be a jerk to this new guy. I hope ur happy. Though it was pretty funny that u convinced the OP was me hahaha!!

Btw, most people don't go to school in summer.

Last edited: