chances of getting into to d school?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trut24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am really curious what are my chances of getting into one of the 20 dental schools I am applying to. I have a 3.56cgpa and 3.67sgpa at a CSU. I will have recieved my bachelor's degree in Biological science/Pre Dental, minor in chem, over 500+ hrs shadowing at a general dentist, an intern at a dental office, member of my college's biology club, and the dental club. I am a re-applicant at all of the california schools ( ucsf, uop, ucla, usc, western...). I am applying to most of the out of state friendly schools and my application will be verified and sent out by the end of the week. I know this is some what late. Please I would really appreciate any information form knowledgible SDNers. Thank you and my recent (2nd try) DAT scores are below. (first try was bad pat-18, ts 19, aa18)

Pat 22 Qr 17 Rc 17 Bio 20 Gc 19 Oc 21
TS 20
AA 19

how competetive am I ?????? or am I so late in the game that it will be hard to get an interview from somewhere??

any schools you would suggest to apply to? or not apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're fine and your scores are fine and you should get some interviews at some schools as I don't think it is that late (PURE OPINION). However, not to be offensive, you should work on your mastery of the English language as it is quite apparent just in your post and may also be in your application as well (you had it proofread right?). Nonetheless by numbers alone you should get an interview somewhere such as USC...whose website lists their average DAT of last years matriculated students to be a 18-19 or something. Probably not at UCLA or UCSF.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. LOL sorry for my grammatical errors and horrible spelling. I am at work right now and after reading it I looked like a *****. I am actually not that bad, and english is my first + only language. I was just in a hurry and haven't slept in FOREVER. And yes i have read and reread my application information many many time. Thank you for you information, it is greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your fine and your scores are fine and you should get some interviews at some schools as I don't think it is that late (PURE OPINION). However, not to be offensive, you should work on your mastery of the English language as it is quite apparent just in your post and may also be in your application as well (you had it proofread right?). Nonetheless by numbers alone you should get an interview somewhere such as USC...whose website lists their average DAT of last years matriculated students to be a 18-19 or something. Probably not at UCLA or UCSF.

I think if you're going to call out someone on their "mastery of the English language," you probably shouldn't have a mistake your third word in. Just sayin'. ;)

true that jenbruin :thumbup:. However, the OP's first post before he edited it was bad to the extent that I was getting confused as to what he was saying. Thank god for editing!

Anyway back to the original post, I would stop worrying about whether your application is late as you can't do anything about it now! Save your stress for when the majority of schools start sending out interviews (seeing as only a few have started sending some out, none of them being cali schools yet so far as I have read).

Ah haha I see. Yeah I looked at the post and was like, really? I don't see anything terrible about it.

@trut: Anywhoo, just my opinion, but it seems like you have a really good shot. Good gpa, good dat, reapplicant, 20 schools.. as long as you applied smart (OOS friendly/private schools) I could totally see you getting somewhere. Don't stress about it just do what you can (get those secondaries back asap!)

Good looking out guys I really do appreciate your input. And yes my first post looked as if a second grader had written it or one of those telemarketers from India. Sorry about that. This site just makes such a huge deal about sending off the apps the day they open. Oh well, you live and learn. Best of luck to you guys:luck: .And thanks again for your input

I have a 3.56cgpa and 3.67sgpa at a CSU. I will have recieved my bachelor's degree in Biological science/Pre Dental, minor in chem, over 500+ hrs shadowing at a general dentist, an intern at a dental office, member of my college's biology club, and the dental club. I am a re-applicant at all of the california schools ( ucsf, uop, ucla, usc, western...). (first try was bad pat-18, ts 19, aa18)

Pat 22 Qr 17 Rc 17 Bio 20 Gc 19 Oc 21
TS 20
AA 19

Notwithstanding your gpa, you might have benefited more by concentrating more on the dat and less on the 500+ hours of shadowing, bio and dental clubs.

I understand that this a slightly off topic but telemarketers from India? This forums is to discuss dental school related topics. It is definitely not here so you can be offensive.
Just saying.

I’m sorry if I offended you by my post, I would gladly remove that part of it. I mentioned that to clearly make a point and to emphasize how bad my grammar was in my first post.
And yes i agree with the score portion. I made this post to see what my chances are seeing that i am FROM a CSU and most dental school look down upon that, and due to kine somewhat lower DAT score. Not to offend anyone. Thanks

I understand that this a slightly off topic but telemarketers from India? This forums is to discuss dental school related topics. It is definitely not here so you can be offensive.
Just saying.

No matter what you say, someone's going to take offense to it. It was a joke. And yes, when companies outsource their help lines to India IT IS VERY HARD TO UNDERSTAND THEM. DEAL WITH IT! :laugh:

No matter what you say, someone's going to take offense to it. It was a joke. And yes, when companies outsource their help lines to India IT IS VERY HARD TO UNDERSTAND THEM. DEAL WITH IT! :laugh:

then dont get your 8888 for cheap