Chances of getting into top programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBPMProspect

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a current healthcare/pharma communications professional who is looking to change careers into medicine and I was wondering if you think I have a good chance of getting into a top post-bac pre-med program (e.g., Bryn Mawr, Scripps, Goucher). First, a little bit about me:

My whole life I dreamed of being a doctor and have always been good at (and interested in) biology, anatomy, physiology, and neuroscience. I applied to Emory University as a pre-med student, but ultimately switched to Media Studies and Economics because I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to make the lifelong commitment to medicine after seeing how intense some of my fellow pre-meds were. I also know I'm not amazing at chemistry, which was also a factor in my choice to pursue a different career. After two years in the healthcare/pharma comms field, I find myself drawn to science/medicine more than anything else and have not felt the same passion for the other aspects of my job. I want to be proud of and passionate about my career and right now that is not the case. I am also someone who would consider themselves a "lifelong learner."

My stats:
  • High school (didn't have an official GPA): 3.4(ish) at one of the top private schools in the country
  • ACT score: 34
  • College GPA: Major 4.0, Cumulative 3.81, Science/Math 3.65
  • Relevant extracurriculars: Freshman health teacher (for credit)
  • Work history: 2+ years in pharmaceutical advertising/PR
  • No clinical/shadowing experience yet, but aiming to get at least some shadowing and volunteering in before I apply
Do you think I have a shot at a top career changer post-bac pre-med program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to do a post-bac program because those are typically needed for those with low GPAs (not you).
With your non-science major you will probably need to take some of the prerequisites like physics, organic chemistry, biochem and a bunch of biology.
It will be more affordable and you will have more control over your schedule if you take these classes at a college near you.
Don't rush trying to get all these done, but take a course load that will let you do well, and start studying for the MCAT next year.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think you need to do a post-bac program because those are typically needed for those with low GPAs (not you).
With your non-science major you will probably need to take some of the prerequisites like physics, organic chemistry, biochem and a bunch of biology.
It will be more affordable and you will have more control over your schedule if you take these classes at a college near you.
Don't rush trying to get all these done, but take a course load that will let you do well, and start studying for the MCAT next year.
I would only be applying to career-changer post-bac programs, which would help prepare me for the MCAT, satisfy the pre-reqs, and gain the necessary clinical/research experience needed to apply to med school! I perform better when there's more structure, so I prefer a formal program over a DIY approach. Hope that helps!