What are my chances of getting into a competitive post bacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Amalasuntha

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am very new to this website and am just trying to find some honest feedback on whether or not it is realistic to apply for a post bacc for the 2023-2024 school year. I was looking into some post baccs in my home state of Florida but am also seriously considering more competitive schools like Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Johns Hopkins, GWU, and Georgetown.

I am 23 years old and will graduate next June with a master's in history. I have a bachelor's degree in history and anthropology from the University of Florida. My undergrad GPA was 3.91, I had one major publication in my field, as well as an honors thesis. My graduate GPA as of now is 3.56, and I was on a few committees/ student activities and worked in a museum as well. I am unsure if they look at high school transcripts as well but my high school GPA was 4.0 unweighted and 5.73 weighted.

My standardized test scores are always average, never steller. I am always a better oral communicator and do better in courses than on standardized tests. My SAT was 1930 in 2015 (converted to the new scoring I think it is 1370), my ACT was a 27, and my GRE was a 162 verbal, 150 quantitative, and 4.5 writing. My quantitative score was embarrassingly low because it had been 4 years since I had taken a math course and I was not particularly trying as I was pursuing a degree in history at the time. Many of my programs did not require it because of the pandemic so I was debating leaving it out on my applications to post baccs.

I took almost exclusively "college-level" courses through either AICE or AP during my junior and senior years including Calc 1 and 2, AICE Math, Stats, and Bio 1. The only science-related courses I took as an undergrad was human osteology and biological anthropology. So in every sense, I am a full-on career changer with no pre-requisites completed.

While I have been flirting with the idea of switching career paths and turning to medicine for about a year and a half now, I finally convinced myself that it was not completely out of the realm of possibilities around January. I did not want to go in blind, however, so I am trying to get some exposure to see if it is truly a good fit for me as it is so drastically different from what I have studied in the past.

Unfortunately, the pandemic, finishing up a master's, and moving have caused me to postpone clinical experience. I attempted to volunteer at my local hospitals but they require 6 months commitment and I knew I was moving out of state before then. I contacted the hospital where I am moving to and am hoping to hear back soon if they have any opportunities. I am also enrolling in an EMT course from Aug to Dec pending passing my CPR course. If I enjoy the work, which I expect I will, I plan on working as an EMT full time until enrolling in a post bacc. My main concern is applying early for the 2023 school year with only 2-4 months of clinical exposure and volunteering.

I am also unwilling to give up my passion for history completely even though I no longer wish to pursue a full-time career in it so I will be volunteering part-time at a local museum and will likely continue to do community outreach on local history. I am a bit worried this may make me look like I am undecided about switching career fields.

Lastly, I know the question of why a career in medicine is more important than any stats I can give. I just noticed that this post is becoming rather long so I can answer that separately if anyone is curious as to why I decided to completely change fields.