Super Non Trad- Accepted into direct linkage MD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myopicvisions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The older you get - the more you realise that there’s more than one way to skin a cat as my mother used to say.

I just accepted into my post bacc direct linkage program.
Next year 2024- i have a guaranteed spot into my MD program.

Some people told me to forget MD and go DO. That wasnt for me.
Now I get to represent all of the super-non trads who are made to feel too old.
Please do not feel this way. Keep pushing. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do it - if i can you can

I never knew that this was the option, but for anyone that feels the need to do a post bacc or Masters to flesh out their application-I suggest that you look into these programs because there’s nothing better than a guaranteed spot.

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
What program were you in? You mentioned it helping you but didn't state which program. It may be helpful people who are looking to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
The older you get - the more you realise that there’s more than one way to skin a cat as my mother used to say.

I just accepted into my post bacc direct linkage program.
Next year 2024- i have a guaranteed spot into my MD program.

Some people told me to forget MD and go DO. That wasnt for me.
Now I get to represent all of the super-non trads who are made to feel too old.
Please do not feel this way. Keep pushing. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do it - if i can you can

I never knew that this was the option, but for anyone that feels the need to do a post bacc or Masters to flesh out their application-I suggest that you look into these programs because there’s nothing better than a guaranteed spot.

Best of luck to everyone!
Good luck to you, and keep pushing to keep that spot!

Just like we always tell people looking at postbac/SMP programs: the most important factors are always: cost, linkage, and community support.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you, and keep pushing to keep that spot!

Just like we always tell people looking at postbac/SMP programs: the most important factors are always: cost, linkage, and community support.
Program is fully funded. It comes with a stipend. It has a ton of support and an actual acceptance to medical school.

For someone like me, who was completely unsupported in undergrad, grades tanked due to disorganized study and chaotic family life- im a completely different person today.
The spot is claimed.,Thanks for the support,

Reactions: 4 users
Awesome! Check in occasionally and start drafting your victory story when you formally begin M1 in a year! :)
My victory story starts right now. If you knew my life but thanks Sir!
On edit. I respect your experience and comments but i sense some - take it easy and let the process flow as it aint over till its over - sentiment. Trust me - im very self aware. Im going to work very hard. Im testing over 500 and my mediocre GPA was a hard lesson to me.
Im going to give it all I got!

Again appreciate the honesty. 🙏🏽

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
What program were you in? You mentioned it helping you but didn't state which program. It may be helpful people who are looking to do it.
Sorry, I thought I replied to you.
The program that I was nominated for was through AMSNY. It’s a program that is directly funded to increase diversity in medicine so you have to be URM to benefit. I was also offered to do a similar program through New York medical College by the director of the program, but the admissions committee wouldn’t let me do it because they said I needed to be interviewed first.
Which was weird because the school that I’m actually going to be going to never interviewed me either initially.
New York medical College aren’t sending anyone to this program this year.
I believe that not only do you have to be an applicant that they feel can actually succeed. You also need to fit the schools idea of what they want as a student. If there’s anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Go figure.

Sorry, I thought I replied to you.
The program that I was nominated for was through AMSNY. It’s a program that is directly funded to increase diversity in medicine so you have to be URM to benefit. I was also offered to do a similar program through New York medical College by the director of the program, but the admissions committee wouldn’t let me do it because they said I needed to be interviewed first.
Which was weird because the school that I’m actually going to be going to never interviewed me either initially.
New York medical College aren’t sending anyone to this program this year.
I believe that not only do you have to be an applicant that they feel can actually succeed. You also need to fit the schools idea of what they want as a student. If there’s anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Go figure.
I have a heard of the AMSNY program. It is a great program. Thank you for your response. I was just asking in case others wanted to do the program. I'm actually going DO this year.

I have a heard of the AMSNY program. It is a great program. Thank you for your response. I was just asking in case others wanted to do the program. I'm actually going DO this year.
Congratulations to you. One of my favourite physicians is DO and she’s awesome.
Im going to blog about it. It was really difficult finding out about the program so if i can benefit anyone with my experience. Im down.
Stay blessed, Doctor!

• Love
Im going to blog about it. It was really difficult finding out about the program so if i can benefit anyone with my experience. Im down.
Stay blessed, Doctor!
Thanks. Congratulations to you too. Definitely write a blog about it. It will help a lot of people. Stay blessed, Doctor!

What is a super non-trad. I hear kids taking a gap year using this term to describe themselves, lol. I've thought about this and personally decided that the requirement should be 45 or > as a PGY-1. Why that arbitrary number? Well, based on ballpark avg retirement age of 65, and assuming you stayed in your residency's system from PGY-1 through retirement AND that this system paid full benefits @ 20 yrs of service, then anyone over 45 couldn't put in a full 20 yrs of service without retiring later than 65.

What is a super non-trad. I hear kids taking a gap year using this term to describe themselves, lol. I've thought about this and personally decided that the requirement should be 45 or > as a PGY-1. Why that arbitrary number? Well, based on ballpark avg retirement age of 65, and assuming you stayed in your residency's system from PGY-1 through retirement AND that this system paid full benefits @ 20 yrs of service, then anyone over 45 couldn't put in a full 20 yrs of service without retiring later than 65.
I feel like for some who didn't make into medical school prior to our 30s. Most people are taking one or two gap years and still going to medical in their late 20s. Then you have people like going in their mid late 30s. God bless the people who go in their 40s and 50s and are changing careers.

Reactions: 2 users
I also agree that there are "non-trads in training" (20s), "Non-trads" (us in our 30s), and "super non-trads" being 40s+ 😎

Although with having to take another impromptu gap year I'm starting to identify as "VERY non trad". I've sent a dozen emails the past month that say "increasingly non-traditional student"

Members don't see this ad :)
What is a super non-trad?
1686260950639.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
What is a super non-trad. I hear kids taking a gap year using this term to describe themselves, lol. I've thought about this and personally decided that the requirement should be 45 or > as a PGY-1. Why that arbitrary number? Well, based on ballpark avg retirement age of 65, and assuming you stayed in your residency's system from PGY-1 through retirement AND that this system paid full benefits @ 20 yrs of service, then anyone over 45 couldn't put in a full 20 yrs of service without retiring later than
I feel like for some who didn't make into medical school prior to our 30s. Most people are taking one or two gap years and still going to medical in their late 20s. Then you have people like going in their mid late 30s. God bless the people who go in their 40s and 50s and are changing careers.
We did our undergraduate commencenent with Hilary Clinton at Madison Square garden. My school did this vignette on me. They also announced my age. My fellow students jaw dropped. It was hilarious but cringe. Im quite private.
Most people think Im early 30s.
A patient asked me my age and when i told her audibly gasped and said “ I thought you were a teenager “ lol.
I dont place too much on age but everyone else does.
So super non trad. ☺️.
Thanks for your blessing. Lol

Reactions: 4 users
We did our undergraduate commencenent with Hilary Clinton at Madison Square garden. My school did this vignette on me. They also announced my age. My fellow students jaw dropped. It was hilarious but cringe. Im quite private.
Most people think Im early 30s.
A patient asked me my age and when i told her audibly gasped and said “ I thought you were a teenager “ lol.
I dont place too much on age but everyone else does.
So super non trad. ☺️.
Thanks for your blessing. Lol

My school didn't announce my age in an identifiable way but did put together an info packet for prospective students in the class below me that listed all of the "weird" attributes from my class (presumably as some weird DEI flex), and they listed my age as the "oldest student in last year's admitted class."

• Wow
My school didn't announce my age in an identifiable way but did put together an info packet for prospective students in the class below me that listed all of the "weird" attributes from my class (presumably as some weird DEI flex), and they listed my age as the "oldest student in last year's admitted class."
I suspect i will be that unicorn.

How old exactly? "Most people think Im early 30s.
A patient asked me my age and when i told her audibly gasped and said “ I thought you were a teenager “ lol".

You must not be at least 45.

How old exactly? "Most people think Im early 30s.
A patient asked me my age and when i told her audibly gasped and said “ I thought you were a teenager “ lol".

You must not be at least 45.
I am older than 45 :)
I think its less about looks and more about attitude plus my friend circle is pretty diverse.

Quick Update.
I completed the Fall Semester with As and Bs, I did Neuroscience, Human Phys, Clinical Immunology and Microbiology.
Sat the MCAT last week- was testing consistantly above 500 (which is the minimum for our program) and entering the Spring with Human phys2, Gross Anatomy, Pharmacology and Psych Pain.
This program has been supportive but it was a sharp learning curve for me. I learned how to study better and in a few short months- Ill be starting a pre course summer program at the school I received the conditional acceptance.
Im still taking everything step by step but I did allow myself to complete the FAFSA and started looking for apartments.
I did all this with a 9 year old.
Im proud of me!

Reactions: 8 users
I am older than 45 :)
I think its less about looks and more about attitude plus my friend circle is pretty diverse.

Quick Update.
I completed the Fall Semester with As and Bs, I did Neuroscience, Human Phys, Clinical Immunology and Microbiology.
Sat the MCAT last week- was testing consistantly above 500 (which is the minimum for our program) and entering the Spring with Human phys2, Gross Anatomy, Pharmacology and Psych Pain.
This program has been supportive but it was a sharp learning curve for me. I learned how to study better and in a few short months- Ill be starting a pre course summer program at the school I received the conditional acceptance.
Im still taking everything step by step but I did allow myself to complete the FAFSA and started looking for apartments.
I did all this with a 9 year old.
Im proud of me!
You should be proud of you! We're all cheering you on too!

You should be proud of you! We're all cheering you on too!
Thank you so much. Im anxiously waiting for my MCAT score to drop so I can finally breathe. This semester is definetly challenging but it would be nice to actually know my seat is mine once the conditions have been met. I appreciate the support.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! I’m almost a “Very non-trad”. Will be 44 when I start medical school this summer. One of the students in my class graduated high school with my oldest son 😂 and I still have a 12 year old at home too. I’ve wanted to be a physician since I was 12 … and here I finally am. It’s weird where life takes you and how you get there!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! I’m almost a “Very non-trad”. Will be 44 when I start medical school this summer. One of the students in my class graduated high school with my oldest son 😂 and I still have a 12 year old at home too. I’ve wanted to be a physician since I was 12 … and here I finally am. It’s weird where life takes you and how you get there!
Thank you. My score dropped and its still not quite there. Frustrating but the good news is I only need to improve my score by 1 point. I point in 3 months. I think thats doable. Still positive. Feel like my path to MD school has been more zig zaggy then I could ever imagine but feeling immensly grateful that I am being supported in the way that I am. I just gotta get this done.
Congrats for your achievements. I really think that having older kids makes us see things differently.

Stay blessed, Doctor!
Hey, where can I read the blog post? Thanks!