Chances of landing an internship for intl students in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.zee.13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've started applying to australian medical schools. Received an offer from flinders, the first uni that called me for interviews, but during the interview itself, they made what can be described as a disclaimer statement that they don't guarantee internship places and that they expect the situation to worsen.

What are the chances of an international full paying student landing an internship after their 4 years of med education?

If the chances are low, any suggesstions on which uni/state should I try for to improve my chances?

I think I have a good sccore to be able to garner interviews for other unis.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Queensland has been successful in the past in securing spots for basically any qld graduate that wanted one but there’s no way to guarantee future success from past experiences when you are dealing with the government and funding. With that said they were increasing commonwealth funded spots this year for private hospitals. You roll the dice when you come. On the plus side once you have internship it’s far easier to secure spots in the following years.

Thank you Sean:) I understand so many factors can change by the time I graduate and thanks for the info on Queensland. I'll try for an interview there

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you eventually accept the Flinders offer or are you trying to explore further options? Where else did you apply?

Did you eventually accept the Flinders offer or are you trying to explore further options? Where else did you apply?
Hey, I rejected the offer from them. Another friend also rejected it too. I went for UQ, UWA and monash interviews. Hopefully one of them comes back with a yes?

For what it is worth, I work at the University of Tasmania School of Medicine and they have 100% success rates in their graduates obtaining an internship.
I am a Canadian, studied at Bond University (QLD) and was not offered an internship spot despite great academic performance . At the time, I applied to every single training hospital in QLD. I then completed my internship as well as Family Medicine/GP Training in Tasmania and absolutely love it. The work/life balance is superb and its a beautiful place to live. Immigration was easy because Tasmania still offers Skilled Migration Visas for doctors, and I was eventually offered citizenship. I now work for the Univ of Tasmania and my entire job is to make medical school more straightforward, guided, and less stressful for international students.

Reactions: 1 user