Chances of matching IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Advice appreciated.

I'm a USMG and a US citizen. Initially applied to 13 programs (mostly university programs, geographically restricted) in Gen Surg last year and did not match. I was still interested in IM. (I know...bad moves)

I am now applying again this year, but to IM only. I kept my med student status by taking medicine sub-i's and delaying my graduation by a few months.

My stats are: repeated first year; Step 1/2: 220/203; clerkship grades are mostly satisfactory and HP with one H.

I am applying to low to mid tier programs (mostly community). How many programs should I apply to? Is 90 programs reasonable? and what are my chances of matching

THank you

Members don't see this ad.

if you apply broadly i would give you a 100% match rate.

Hello. Advice appreciated.

I'm a USMG and a US citizen. Initially applied to 13 programs (mostly university programs, geographically restricted) in Gen Surg last year and did not match. I was still interested in IM. (I know...bad moves)

I am now applying again this year, but to IM only. I kept my med student status by taking medicine sub-i's and delaying my graduation by a few months.

My stats are: repeated first year; Step 1/2: 220/203; clerkship grades are mostly satisfactory and HP with one H.

I am applying to low to mid tier programs (mostly community). How many programs should I apply to? Is 90 programs reasonable? and what are my chances of matching

THank you

The dean of my med school told me that - as you long as you can graduate from med school - you can match into family medicine, internal medicine, and pediatrics if you apply to the right places.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I dont think you need to apply to 90 programs. That is just a waste of money and time.

You do have some red flags, which you have bolded. Repeating a yr is def not good and that low Step 2 is concerning to me. Also, you need to have a good explanation for jumping ship from GS to IM.

I would recommend looking at less competitive programs near your geographical area. Also, I would call some PDs and get a feel for what they think.

I would say around 20-30 programs should be plenty if you want to reach for some.

First things first - Why apply to 13 GS programs only if you're interested in IM? Be able to discuss why your interest appears to have changed.

You say USMG - I've never heard someone use that. Are you an allopathic (MD) grad? Or were you forgetting a letter and you're a USIMG?

Repeating 1st year and low step 2 are definite red flags. Apply broadly to community hospitals (if you're a Allopathic medical grad from a medical school in the US).

First, I dont think you need to apply to 90 programs. That is just a waste of money and time.

You do have some red flags, which you have bolded. Repeating a yr is def not good and that low Step 2 is concerning to me. Also, you need to have a good explanation for jumping ship from GS to IM.

I would recommend looking at less competitive programs near your geographical area. Also, I would call some PDs and get a feel for what they think.

I would say around 20-30 programs should be plenty if you want to reach for some.

I would not recommend this. Someone who had to repeat a year, nearly failed step 2 and failed to match the first time around are all red flags. Add to that the fact that IM is clearly a second choice is going to further turn people off. Applying too broadly is never a bad thing. Applying too narrowly is.

A few thousand dollars to move on with your life and start residency is money well spent in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice!. I am allopathic. I'm applying broadly just to be safe. I was interested in Trauma CC and didn't want to give up medicine. I applied to surgery first because I loved the OR. But I will be equally as happy as an IM doc

i agree with you,you can match into family medicine, internal medicine, and pediatrics if you apply to the right places.
14.gif

Thanks for the advice!. I am allopathic. I'm applying broadly just to be safe. I was interested in Trauma CC and didn't want to give up medicine. I applied to surgery first because I loved the OR. But I will be equally as happy as an IM doc

Okay. Then you should be OK. Apply broadly (I think 90+ is good) and I imagine you should be able to get in somewhere.