chances of matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GenericMedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
long time reader but first time poster.
I was hoping someone could comment about my competitiveness to match into general surgery. I am currently matched into anesthesia and completing my prelim medicine year but realized that I want to go into surgery. I struggled immensely during 4 year but decided on anesthesia when a lot of my friends who were originally applying into surgery switched out for lifestyle reasons. I thought "I came to terms" with it, but now I realized that I want to be a surgeon. I loaded my 4 year with surgical rotations and did well in them. Now I'm in my prelim medicine year and I want to reapply into surgery and I was wondering what my chances are and if me matching originally into anesthesia would be a red flag? I'm an U.S. allopathic graduate with step 1 236 step 2 251 and 2 publications in the field of ENT (not big name journals.)
Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

long time reader but first time poster.
I was hoping someone could comment about my competitiveness to match into general surgery. I am currently matched into anesthesia and completing my prelim medicine year but realized that I want to go into surgery. I struggled immensely during 4 year but decided on anesthesia when a lot of my friends who were originally applying into surgery switched out for lifestyle reasons. I thought "I came to terms" with it, but now I realized that I want to be a surgeon. I loaded my 4 year with surgical rotations and did well in them. Now I'm in my prelim medicine year and I want to reapply into surgery and I was wondering what my chances are and if me matching originally into anesthesia would be a red flag? I'm an U.S. allopathic graduate with step 1 236 step 2 251 and 2 publications in the field of ENT (not big name journals.)
Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure if switching fields is a red flag necessarily and I'm sure you're not the first resident who's had a change of heart one way or another. your scores sound good and I would assume you would have some options, but I'm not a PD