Chances of residency in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kathleen914

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear all this talk abt finding out what is the percentage of a school's graduates that obtain a residency in the U.S.? I understand that it is a good indicator of a school's success rate (the good schools have rates of over 90%). However, as a Canadian, I feel that number doesn't really mean as much to me given that the majority of students are US citizens. Am I wrong here? If not, is there any info on or does anyone have an idea as to what the chances are of Canadians in schools such as Ross, Saba, etc getting US residencies?

I know frm the NRMP site that approximately 50% of non-US FMGs are matched. That's a long way from over 90%. I assuming the chances are considerably higher coming frm a good Caribbean school because of the advantage of having followed a curriculum close to the of the US (USMLE scores, letters of rec, etc). Also intersting is the fact that US FMGs had a similar placement rate.

Please let me know what to make of all of this. I'm still weighing my options and the only serious doubt I have abt applying for a Carribean med school (or any other for the matter) is getting a residency.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Kathleen914 said:
I hear all this talk abt finding out what is the percentage of a school's graduates that obtain a residency in the U.S.? I understand that it is a good indicator of a school's success rate (the good schools have rates of over 90%). However, as a Canadian, I feel that number doesn't really mean as much to me given that the majority of students are US citizens. Am I wrong here? If not, is there any info on or does anyone have an idea as to what the chances are of Canadians in schools such as Ross, Saba, etc getting US residencies?

I know frm the NRMP site that approximately 50% of non-US FMGs are matched. That's a long way from over 90%. I assuming the chances are considerably higher coming frm a good Caribbean school because of the advantage of having followed a curriculum close to the of the US (USMLE scores, letters of rec, etc). Also intersting is the fact that US FMGs had a similar placement rate.

Please let me know what to make of all of this. I'm still weighing my options and the only serious doubt I have abt applying for a Carribean med school (or any other for the matter) is getting a residency.

Thanks

Re: statistics.

Just quickly, the 50% match rate is misleading as it does not account for pre-match offers nor post-match scramble positions. As to what the actual number is, no one but the ECFMG really knows (and they only reveal information indirectly). For a more detailed discussion regarding the statistics see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=148928

IMO, here are the factors I would look at when choosing a school.

-Its success rate. Look at the residency placements gained by that school.

If they don't publish the names and the places their graduates gained residencies, I would cross the school off the list. Try to verify the placement of such grads in the programs mentioned by using the latest year information from the schools and cross check with the residency listings (in those programs that interest you) often published by the programs on the web.

Another way to look at the success rate is to see how many graduates gained ECFMG certificates. Thankfully, the ECFMG occassionally publishes this information and as many Carib. schools occupy only one island, one can glean some information based on this link http://www.ecfmg.org/annuals/2002/certstan.html
(specifically Exhibit 4).

-Accreditation/Licensure.

Where can you use the diploma? If major (or many) states do not accept the diploma, what good is it? See, for instance, California's list of approved schools/programs http://www.medbd.ca.gov/Approved_Schools.htm

-Attrition rates/USMLE first time pass rates/Environment, etc..

Getting this information from an independent source is near impossible. (If someone knows of one, please feel free to post.) Instead, visit the school and check its facilities out. Speak in an unsupervised environment with current students. If you are going to invest a ton of money into your medical education, isn't it worthwhile to do a little research?

Miklos