Chances on getting into pod school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poddpm86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need an advise on my chances on getting into podiatry school and how can I improve my chances..

2 years Associate degree (from community college)
cgpa= 3.1
sgpa= 2.94

2 years Bacheolar degree (transfer to UCLA from community college)
cgpa= 2.41
sgpa=2.41

Postbac classes..
Anatomy & Physiology = 4.0
Microbiology = 3.8
Nutrition = 4.0

taking mcat on Jan 28th..

Shadow two local podiatrist.

Members don't see this ad.

Only one way to find out! by applying. Realize though you have to have the pre-req requirements which are 1 Yr of organic chemistry, 1 yr of chemistry, 1 yr of physics, 1 yr of Biology, & 1 yr of English. You'll also need to take these courses in order to help prepare you for the MCAT. You also need a LOR from your pre-health committee or 2-3 science professors. You should get this B4 applying. Nutrition is not an important class and does not relate, I would think that's a bad choice/waste of money. I know nursing students have to take nutrition. You can improve your chances by going into a 2-3 yr masters program and get a 3.5+ GPA. Goodluck!!

Thanks for the input.
I have finished all the pre-reqs and recieved bachelors in Biology. I admit that university courses was challenging to me which is shown in big dip in gpa. I took nutrition along with other classes to bump up a science gpa a lil and also to be a full time student ..
And I took those classes at community college since I could not afford formal postbac or 4 year institute tutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should be alright, however it would of been better to take your pre-reqs at a 4 yr college university, admissions frowns upon cc. Money should never be an issue, its a not so great excuse. Realize however that pod school is very expensive 26-32 thousand a yr + Room & Board + Books/Supplies and other fees. I do strongly encourage you to discuss your GPA with pod schools b4 going any further, some pod schools may have gpa cutoffs, I believe NYCPM's cutoff is 2.75. You don't want to be wasting your time & money if you don't meet the GPA admission requirements, this is something worth looking into. Good luck!

Last edited:
I need an advise on my chances on getting into podiatry school and how can I improve my chances..

2 years Associate degree (from community college)
cgpa= 3.1
sgpa= 2.94

2 years Bacheolar degree (transfer to UCLA from community college)
cgpa= 2.41
sgpa=2.41

Postbac classes..
Anatomy & Physiology = 4.0
Microbiology = 3.8
Nutrition = 4.0

taking mcat on Jan 28th..

Shadow two local podiatrist.

Take more postbac classes and don't take them in a community college. Looks like you struggled a little at ucla so you might want to take some postbac classes there to show you have matured. you will need to bring your overall gpa and science to around a 3.0 and score over 22 on the mcat

so if I take another semester at university wouldn't that be too late to apply for this year admission cycle?

And if I score above 22 on mcat, would you still recomend to take classes next semester?
I am studing for mcat over 4 months now n used sn2d mcat schedule and hoping to get mcat score 22-25 (acc. to my practice test scores)

I am planning to apply aacpm beginning of march thats when i will have my mcat score released

You can apply this year (now) but dont be devastated if you do not get in. you need to get your scores up. CC credits are not as difficult as a university credits (maybe exception here, but admissions will not see it like this).

While it can be done, if you struggle at the university you will likely struggle in pod school. Its much harder, and a lot more material. Also much more expensive.

If you do not get in ask the admissions what you could do next to improve your chances the following year. Also, ask yourself how you can improve your study skills. Were you just too lazy? Do you have ADHD? Did you try your hardest and still get C's?

You also have to have a C or above in all pre-requisites. A C- has to be retaken.

Podiatry school courses do not have curves. Your grade is your grade and the exams are challenging. On top of that you will be taking anywhere from 4-7 courses at a time (15-25 credit hours). Make sure you can handle the enhanced schedule before you matriculate.

You can apply this year (now) but dont be devastated if you do not get in. you need to get your scores up. CC credits are not as difficult as a university credits (maybe exception here, but admissions will not see it like this).

While it can be done, if you struggle at the university you will likely struggle in pod school. Its much harder, and a lot more material. Also much more expensive.

If you do not get in ask the admissions what you could do next to improve your chances the following year. Also, ask yourself how you can improve your study skills. Were you just too lazy? Do you have ADHD? Did you try your hardest and still get C's?

You also have to have a C or above in all pre-requisites. A C- has to be retaken.

Podiatry school courses do not have curves. Your grade is your grade and the exams are challenging. On top of that you will be taking anywhere from 4-7 courses at a time (15-25 credit hours). Make sure you can handle the enhanced schedule before you matriculate.

you guys are taking 7 courses? I think the most we had was 4 at a time. More than 2 sucks. I still can't get over the course load at some schools. They actually cut down lecture hours at DMU by 2 hours. I think 20hrs a week a class time is pretty close to the max. And that is on the high end. I love DMU.

you guys are taking 7 courses? I think the most we had was 4 at a time. More than 2 sucks. I still can't get over the course load at some schools. They actually cut down lecture hours at DMU by 2 hours. I think 20hrs a week a class time is pretty close to the max. And that is on the high end. I love DMU.
I've looked at curriculum from different schools (during interviews). Some schools had up to 7ish courses at one time. I agree... Thats way too many

Edit: Here is Temples curriculum schedule as an example for what to expect.
Here is DMU's curriculum schedule.

Last edited by a moderator: