Chances??? Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

campad21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

So I'm just passing the midpoint of my 3rd year rotations and I've decided to pursue a career in Urology. I'm attending a med school in CA where our 1st&2nd year grades are P/F. So far my 3rd year grades are okay at best:

Family Med: HP

Medicine: HP

Psych: H

Surgery: HP

I came within 2-3% of getting Honors in Family and Surgery, but I can't tell any programs that! I'm currently in my Surgical Subspecialty rotation and still have OB/Gyn and Peds for the remainder of the year. Board scores:

Step 1: 242

As far as research, I have 1 project in anesthesia in which I presented at 3 conferences; One at my home institution and the other two at the most importance national conferences for anesthesia (WARC and ASA). I recently met with a urologist at my home institution and the both of us anticipate that I will be working on and possibly completing 1-2 projects by June/July.

I would like to know how realistic my chances of matching are given my board scores and clinical grades? How about matching into one of the CA programs? Also, since I will barely be starting any urological research, is taking a research year between 3rd&4th year recommended or almost required for someone in my position? I've heard a rumor that only about 15-20% of applicants take research years, so how important is it? How many away rotations should I do? Lastly, do I need to take Step 2 sooner or later than normal?

Thank's Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

So I'm just passing the midpoint of my 3rd year rotations and I've decided to pursue a career in Urology. I'm attending a med school in CA where our 1st&2nd year grades are P/F. So far my 3rd year grades are okay at best:

Family Med: HP

Medicine: HP

Psych: H

Surgery: HP

I came within 2-3% of getting Honors in Family and Surgery, but I can't tell any programs that! I'm currently in my Surgical Subspecialty rotation and still have OB/Gyn and Peds for the remainder of the year. Board scores:

Step 1: 242

As far as research, I have 1 project in anesthesia in which I presented at 3 conferences; One at my home institution and the other two at the most importance national conferences for anesthesia (WARC and ASA). I recently met with a urologist at my home institution and the both of us anticipate that I will be working on and possibly completing 1-2 projects by June/July.

I would like to know how realistic my chances of matching are given my board scores and clinical grades? How about matching into one of the CA programs? Also, since I will barely be starting any urological research, is taking a research year between 3rd&4th year recommended or almost required for someone in my position? I've heard a rumor that only about 15-20% of applicants take research years, so how important is it? How many away rotations should I do? Lastly, do I need to take Step 2 sooner or later than normal?

Thank's Everyone!
Your application isn't god awful, but there is definitely significant room for improvement. I would try to start doing some urology research AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Maybe be able to get an abstract or two into the sectional meeting or a subspecialty meeting before application time this summer. Also, will get you in with the local urology team who you will need on your side. Which brings me to my next point, you need to sit down with the chair at your program and ask him these questions and in particular where you would have a chance at in CA if that is your goal. Then you need to do away rotations at those programs he recommends and do very well.

CA is very competitive, and you may not be able to be so selective on location based on your stats.

Your application isn't god awful, but there is definitely significant room for improvement. I would try to start doing some urology research AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Maybe be able to get an abstract or two into the sectional meeting or a subspecialty meeting before application time this summer. Also, will get you in with the local urology team who you will need on your side. Which brings me to my next point, you need to sit down with the chair at your program and ask him these questions and in particular where you would have a chance at in CA if that is your goal. Then you need to do away rotations at those programs he recommends and do very well.

CA is very competitive, and you may not be able to be so selective on location based on your stats.

Thanks for advice! I was actually able to secure two projects this past week. I won't be first author on any of these papers, but at least I'm getting my name on there and getting involved with something in Urology. I'm also planning on meeting with my program chair this week as you've recommended. Will update soon!