Chances Please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawaiian909

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a chemistry major at a university in the state of Tennessee with a GPA of 3.7 and an MCAT of 31 with 10V, 10P, and 11B. I have worked in the surgery department of a local hospital for almost 2 years and I will over a year of research in organic chemistry. I volunteer at many different places. I am very well-spoken so I should be fine in an interview. If I obtain good letters from professors and other healthcare workers, what are my chances at in state schools and schools in the surrounding areas? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a chemistry major at a university in the state of Tennessee with a GPA of 3.7 and an MCAT of 31 with 10V, 10P, and 11B. I have worked in the surgery department of a local hospital for almost 2 years and I will over a year of research in organic chemistry. I volunteer at many different places. I am very well-spoken so I should be fine in an interview. If I obtain good letters from professors and other healthcare workers, what are my chances at in state schools and schools in the surrounding areas? Thanks.
Can you be a bit more specific about the nonmedical community service you've done (types/hours)? What about physician shadowing? Any peer leadership or teaching?

Yes there has been around 30 hours of shadowing physicians in the hospital I work at and the type of volunteering includes working with the homeless and trying to let them have the opportunity to eat three meals a day for around 40 to 60 hours. I have also coached a youth baseball team and gave the kids lessons on my own time which lasted one whole summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there has been around 30 hours of shadowing physicians in the hospital I work at and the type of volunteering includes working with the homeless and trying to let them have the opportunity to eat three meals a day for around 40 to 60 hours. I have also coached a youth baseball team and gave the kids lessons on my own time which lasted one whole summer.
With a 3.7/31, historically, among ALL Applicants, 72% got at least one acceptance. If your BCPM GPA is at least 3.6, that would help. And maintain or raise your GPAs. You don't want to apply with a downward grade trend.

Your shadowing is still below the average listed. As you have plenty of time, I'd hope you'll beef that up to at least 50 hours and be sure it includes a primary care, office-based doc. If you come from a rural area and want to have more appeal as a representative of that demographic, be sure to shadow a rural doc.

Keep up some nonmedical volunteering , too.

Ok but if I get the shadow hours up then the GPA and MCAT are fine? I have plenty of time to volunteer and follow doctors so I am not worried about that aspect. Especially in-state...

And my science GPA as of right now is a 3.75

Last edited: