*Chances* sGPA 3.67 cGPA 3.61

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErBear85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Can you please let me know where I stand. Any suggestions on how I can improve are much appreciated! I'm applying in June.

-cGPA 3.6
-MCAT will be taken in May
-I am going to be shadowing a physician for the first time next week. My goal is to shadow 3 physicians for at least 10-15hrs each

Is there anything I am missing?!? What else can I do? I know it's hard to evaluate my exact chances without an MCAT score, but do I look competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The mean cGPA of those accepted to med school last year was 3.67, BCPM GPA 3.61, MCAT 31.1.

Presumably your cGPA will rise further by the time you apply in June, but going with the 3.61, with an MCAT score of 29 your chance would be ~37%, with a 32 ~ 56%, with a 35 ~68%, with a 38 a ~73% chance.

Your total clinical experience looks to be fine by the time you apply. Your shadowing will be just below the average of 50 hours. The real-world business experience will be viewed well, but be prepared to get grilled on "Why medicine?" Having nonmedical community service seems to be increasingly important, so I'm glad you're on top of that.

The research looks fine. Don't forget to list hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors.

does the fact that my sGPA is above average compensate for the fact the my cGPA is slightly below average?

From the AAMC data, I show that a 33-35 MCAT will give me an ~80% chance of admission.

I don't mean to question you, but can you please let me know where your data is coming from.

Thank you very very much for your response!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

Do you always go by cGPA? I have always heard that sGPA is more important. My cGPA isn't going to change. I'm a post bacc student so I have already taken a ton of classes. However, my sGPA is much more flexible and will probably end around 3.7.

come back when you have an actual mcat score.

Do you always go by cGPA? I have always heard that sGPA is more important.
One is obliged to go by cGPA because the statistics made available by AMCAS are based on that number, however, a higher BCPM is definitely a modifying factor that makes it more likely you'll end on the desirable side of the provided % chance.

Is it me or is it getting harder and harder to get into medical school with each year?

That 80% includes all cGPAs from 3.6 up to 3.79. If you graph it out as I did, you will see why I extrapolated ~68% for a 3.61. And I don't mind at all that you questioned the figure and asked for an explanation.

I don't mean to derail the thread here, but have you posted your data graphs? If so, where can I find them?