Chances? Should I retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daymann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't need or want to retake. I would only retake if you scored 2-3 less on your actual test than on your practice tests.

Some thoughts: An end-of-summer MCAT retake plan would cause schools to hold your application for consideration until the new score comes back. Late consideration (being Complete at all schools after 9/1) would disadvantage your application statistically. And then there's the possiblity that you might score lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. Two more random questions:

1. I'm planning to apply to 15-20 schools. Are there any particular schools besides the schools in Florida that I have a decent shot at?
2. How strict are the english requirements? I have one semester of ap english credit so far and I'm planning to take a class listed under art. It's considered an advanced composition (writing intensive) class but would the fact that it's not listed under english or rhetoric raise any flags? (I'm assuming med schools vary in leniency and it might save me some headaches later when applying to just take an English class...)

Thanks for the input. Two more random questions:

1. I'm planning to apply to 15-20 schools. Are there any particular schools besides the schools in Florida that I have a decent shot at?
2. How strict are the english requirements? I have one semester of ap english credit so far and I'm planning to take a class listed under art. It's considered an advanced composition (writing intensive) class but would the fact that it's not listed under english or rhetoric raise any flags? (I'm assuming med schools vary in leniency and it might save me some headaches later when applying to just take an English class...)
1)
Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort), so you can fill in your own (projected) stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you’re competitive. Next look at the out-of-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for “fit,” removing any from your list that mainly serve in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

2) If it is designated a writing intensive course but does not have an ENG designation, you can call each school and get permission to substitute.

1)
Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort), so you can fill in your own (projected) stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you’re competitive. Next look at the out-of-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for “fit,” removing any from your list that mainly serve in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

2) If it is designated a writing intensive course but does not have an ENG designation, you can call each school and get permission to substitute.

Thanks for your answers!

This is my OOS list so far, all comments welcome. Ideally, I'd like to take out maybe 3 schools from this list.

Tufts
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Albany
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
MC Wisconsin
Loyola
Temple
GWU
UIC
Tulane
NYMC
Drexel
Michigan State

Thanks again, Catalystik.

I've looked through my list of schools and my composition courses for graduation fulfill the english requirements for most, but not all of the medical schools. Being a junior already, with registration already ended, would it be okay for me to list an English course as "future coursework" on the AMCAS so as to not preclude me from applying to certain schools? Would it hurt my application in any way?

As stated before on a financial stand point UIC is a bad option. Also I would remove Georgetown unless you know a lot about their "Catholic/Jesuit cura personalis" mission and instead of those two I would add SLU, EVMS or VCU (if not both).

Which ones in FL are you planning to apply too?
I think you have a really good shot for FL schools.

Thanks again, Catalystik.

I've looked through my list of schools and my composition courses for graduation fulfill the english requirements for most, but not all of the medical schools. Being a junior already, with registration already ended,
1) would it be okay for me to list an English course as "future coursework" on the AMCAS so as to not preclude me from applying to certain schools? 2) Would it hurt my application in any way?
1) Yes.

2) Only if a grade for the class is not on the final transcript sent to a med school requiring it and at which you'll matriculate.

As stated before on a financial stand point UIC is a bad option. Also I would remove Georgetown unless you know a lot about their "Catholic/Jesuit cura personalis" mission and instead of those two I would add SLU, EVMS or VCU (if not both).
I removed Georgetown and I'm considering adding the others. Thanks.

Which ones in FL are you planning to apply too?
I think you have a really good shot for FL schools.
All of the allopathic ones.

1) Yes.

2) Only if a grade for the class is not on the final transcript sent to a med school requiring it and at which you'll matriculate.
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, new poster :). I received my MCAT mark yesterday.

VR - 7
PS - 12
BIO - 10
WS - S
Overall: 29S

I am a Canadian student applying to US medical schools. My cGPA = 3.67, cGPA for years 2 - 4 is a 3.9. Science GPA = 3.5 (because of my first year grades), ignoring my first year grades it is a 3.91). I messed up in first year and showed a serious increase in my marks in second year. I completely English with a 4.0. So I know I can read haha.

I am currently in my Masters degree in medical education. I have strong references from professors, my supervisor (surgeon/PhD), another surgeon who I shadow in the operating room, clinic, etc.). I have ample leadership and clinical shadowing experience. Also have one publication - a book chapter in the Surgical Clinics of NA.

I really need some advice...Should I retake it? Or is it better if I apply June 5th. Get my secondaries in fast, and hope for the best? Or should I retake it on June 26 and submit everything by August 26th?

Last edited: