Chances? still have time to improve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys senior here going to apply in 2018 cycle.
21 years old
3.8 gpa
just started DAT studying
EC- president of a club, member of a couple other clubs, started a small business (not science related), shadow a dentist (should have more than enough hours before I submit), big brother for BBBS, tutor for 2 years, research for one year (no papers or posters), going to start volunteering in a soup kitchen (2hrs/week), volunteer at a free clinic (I only clean, its grunt work and I have low hours with it)
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)- 2 general dentists, plan on trying to find a specialized dentist I can shadow
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)- will have 3-4
One question I have for you guys... I enjoy my research, but I want to stop it and move on to other opportunities. Is one year of research enough, or should I stick through it for two more semesters. What other things should I add to my application to better my chances? thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't enjoy research, then there's no reason to continue to do it. One year of research is plenty, especially since most pre-dents don't do any research during undergrad.

Other than that, your application looks strong. Do well on the DAT and you should be set. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't enjoy research, then there's no reason to continue to do it. One year of research is plenty, especially since most pre-dents don't do any research during undergrad.

Other than that, your application looks strong. Do well on the DAT and you should be set. Good luck!
i mean i like it, i am the best undergrad they have lol, but i can get a lor from the professor so i guess thats all i really wanted anyways lol.. should i volunteer at more places?

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly good PS/LORs and a 20/21+ on the DAT will get you in

i mean i like it, i am the best undergrad they have lol, but i can get a lor from the professor so i guess thats all i really wanted anyways lol.. should i volunteer at more places?
Well it shouldn't be about just doing something for a LOR. If your research is going somewhere (like you can publish it or present it at conferences), then I'd say to keep on doing it. It's better to do fewer things but be more involved with them, so that you have something to really talk about during your interviews.

Well it shouldn't be about just doing something for a LOR. If your research is going somewhere (like you can publish it or present it at conferences), then I'd say to keep on doing it. It's better to do fewer things but be more involved with them, so that you have something to really talk about during your interviews.
alright, sounds good. thanks a ton

What state are you from/where are you planning on applying?