DO Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drumdoc5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.79 cGPA/3.78sGPA/24 mcat (8/8/8)--- planning to retake test in August.
non trad.---year between graduating undergrad and applying.

-over 600 hours of undergrad research w/ poster presentations and 1 publication
-3 leadership positions in undergrad clubs (comes with lots of volunteering hours, not calculated yet)
-shadowed roughly 70 hours w/ pediatrician, internist, and radiologist
-75 hours of volunteering in ER
-300 volunteering hours on various mission trips (non-medical)- both in and out of U.S.
-40 hours volunteering in a school clinic
-1,000 hours as a pharmacy technician
-though unrelated to medicine, musician. 400 hours of shows and organized rehersal

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT score comes up, you've got a decent shot at DO schools. I'd be surprised if you could bring up your MCAT enough to be competitive at an MD schools, but I hope I'm wrong. I'd say that your potential to get into medical school largely rests on your next MCAT. The rest of your application looks good.

Are you applying now or next cycle? Your GPAs are fine but that MCAT is low for DO schools and lethal for MD. Good luck on your next test!

I am applying this cycle. The MCAT score is two years old--- took it before I took a lot of upper division classes so I don't think it's a good "show" of my capabilities. I believe my next MCAT will be much stronger but we'll see!