Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whataremychancez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are many topics on this but I am just curious where I stand on actually matching.

Step 1 - 274

Clinicals - I have completed 1 rotation (OB/Gyn) and honored it. I believe I may be on track to honor or HP my second rotation (PedS)

Research - This is where I feel I'm really lacking. I have done one oral presentation and one poster presentation in undergrad completely unrelated to ENT. I have done one oral presentation between M1 and M2 semi related to ENT. None of my presentations or posters have been at a national conference or anything like that. All smaller summer programs or for my school in general. I am really trying to get research during my elective time during third year but having difficulty getting in contact with people. I believe I will probably get some research done, but I have doubts it will be very productive and lead to a publication or anything, and time is limited. Nevertheless I will be trying very hard.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Well obviously your step 1 is good, and honoring clinicals definitely helps. The lack of research will probably hurt you, but hard to say how much.

Take a look at the google doc from this year's match. It's got 112 applicants' data on it and you can easily see how a lack of research hurt some people, even those with high board scores. Look closely at the number of interviews offered per number of applications -- even in those who still matched, some were cutting it pretty close and others who didn't post their stats were not as lucky. Best thing to do is get cracking on research and honor all or most of your rotations and you should do well. I've seen people go from zero to five+ ENT pubs during 3rd year. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

EDIT: corrected link

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O18j6yOvmf0e5scgXHgLwlh3BrSTF9ngIWxGQaf7N3A/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Well obviously your step 1 is good, and honoring clinicals definitely helps. The lack of research will probably hurt you, but hard to say how much.

Take a look at the google doc from this year's match. It's got 112 applicants' data on it and you can easily see how a lack of research hurt some people, even those with high board scores. Look closely at the number of interviews offered per number of applications -- even in those who still matched, some were cutting it pretty close and others who didn't post their stats were not as lucky. Best thing to do is get cracking on research and honor all or most of your rotations and you should do well. I've seen people go from zero to five+ ENT pubs during 3rd year. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhgJYsaYKosIdC1tSUJ6VUpaeWRkVmpDcm1hQ3JvcXc&usp=sharing

Wrong one bruh that's the google doc with all our contact info, haha.

But he's totally right. Lack of research is a killer. There were several academic superstars that didnt match due to lack of research. If you cant get any pubs during M3, you should consider a year off for research.

Also, you didnt mention relationship with your home program - do you have attendings that you have a good rapport with? Program director/chair especially?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong one bruh that's the google doc with all our contact info, haha.

But he's totally right. Lack of research is a killer. There were several academic superstars that didnt match due to lack of research. If you cant get any pubs during M3, you should consider a year off for research.

Also, you didnt mention relationship with your home program - do you have attendings that you have a good rapport with? Program director/chair especially?

Hahaha oops! Fixed.

Does all the research need to be ENT specific? I'm in a similar boat to OP as far as good grades and scores, but I have a bit more research (3 first and second author pubs, a few posters/talks at national meetings). However, none of my research is in ENT, although it is surgery related. How much will that make up for a lack of ENT specific research? I ask because while I have a few ENT projects lined up, I am kind of slacking on them and focusing the vast majority of my time on acclimating to third year, getting my feet wet and making sure I am getting HP/Hs in my clinical rotation while retaining some sort of wellness/balance in my life, because I figured clinical grades are more important than research. Is this the right attitude to have? I could certainly be putting my foot down on the gas a little harder research wise, but third year by itself is plenty of work by itself right now. We don't have any real research time third year, but my schedule does get much easier in the spring so I'm hoping I could finish a project or two then, just not sure if that's enough. Oh and for the foreseeable future I don't really see taking a research year as being something I'm willing to do.

Curious as to what some of the other recently matched residents think @Wordead @VisionaryTics and of course any of the regulars who want to chime in.

Does all the research need to be ENT specific? I'm in a similar boat to OP as far as good grades and scores, but I have a bit more research (3 first and second author pubs, a few posters/talks at national meetings). However, none of my research is in ENT, although it is surgery related. How much will that make up for a lack of ENT specific research? I ask because while I have a few ENT projects lined up, I am kind of slacking on them and focusing the vast majority of my time on acclimating to third year, getting my feet wet and making sure I am getting HP/Hs in my clinical rotation while retaining some sort of wellness/balance in my life, because I figured clinical grades are more important than research. Is this the right attitude to have? I could certainly be putting my foot down on the gas a little harder research wise, but third year by itself is plenty of work by itself right now. We don't have any real research time third year, but my schedule does get much easier in the spring so I'm hoping I could finish a project or two then, just not sure if that's enough. Oh and for the foreseeable future I don't really see taking a research year as being something I'm willing to do.

Curious as to what some of the other recently matched residents think @Wordead @VisionaryTics and of course any of the regulars who want to chime in.

I had a lot of non-ENT research when i applied. I ended up picking up a few projects during M3 when I switched to ENT in January and had a paper published and another submitted in time for ERAS. So you have more time than I did to cobble something together. I think that if you've demonstrated the ability to be productive, have an ENT project ongoing or published, and have support from your home program's faculty you should be okay. You have a whole year, which is more than enough time to get some substantial research done.

Focus on getting used to M3 for now, and be sure to get honors in medicine and surgery. I personally made a conscious decision to sacrifice my peds rotation grade to get a couple papers pushed through (multiple rounds of revision). Dont think it hurt me. But then again, this is all guesswork and I have no idea what programs actually thought about me.

Reactions: 1 user