Effect of a Conditional/Pass on Chances in ENT, advice needed for M2.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xlv234

Reaction score
Hi, M2 at a mid-ranked allopathic school here. Wondering whether I have a shot at ENT and would like some advice. I am at a true P/F school and have passed all my core block classes with ease but due to negligence and not taking the class seriously, received a Conditional Passing grade in my clinical skills class during my first semester of medical school. Wondering how this effects me for ENT residencies and whether I should bother applying. Step has been delayed for me due to the pandemic so don't have my score yet but hopefully should score somewhere in the high 240s, low 250s based on practice tests. I also have 5 ENT pubs(4 second author, 1 first author) as of now, and am decently well known inside my home department. Assuming I do well on my rotations, and can garner a couple more publications/posters, do I still have a shot at residency? I know people say preclinical grades don't matter, but I guess with ENT being so competitive, I'm scared even a tiny blemish can prevent me from matching. My backup plan is general surgery, but I would have to start getting involved in gen surg research and getting to know my home department now. Any advice is appreciated, thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the rest of your application is solid, I don't think this will matter at all.

If for some reason you get asked about it at an interview (not very likely), you already know the answer "Yes, I was a brand new M1 student and I didn't take that class seriously. I learned that you have to take every class seriously in med school, and my later grades and test scores prove it."

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming the rest of your application is solid, I don't think this will matter at all.

If for some reason you get asked about it at an interview (not very likely), you already know the answer "Yes, I was a brand new M1 student and I didn't take that class seriously. I learned that you have to take every class seriously in med school, and my later grades and test scores prove it."
That's awesome to hear, thank you!