chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engg06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Current Stats:
Third yr electrical engineering student.
First yr GPA: 3.34
Second yr GPA: 2.9
Can do 3.5 in my engineering courses in the last 2 years.
Can do 3.7 in pre-med courses, if and when i take them.
Can do 30-34 on MCATs, did a few practice ones.

Now i think that i dont have a very good chance in a canadian med school, so i am ready and willing to go to a US med school.

Now, my dilema is:
Only If i have a favorable chance of gettin in a US med school, only then i shud take the pre-med courses.
These courses otherwise are no use to me.
I have some debating, some leadership some volunteering behind me, but i have 2 yrs left and i can do a lot more.

So my question for u guys is:

Shud i take the risk of taking the pre-med courses( lik if u guys think u have a decent chance of gettin in)? I wanna take biology as soon as next semester.

Would a US school look at the toughness of a engineering degree?

Would they look into the fact that i did OK in mah first 2 yrs, and when i had a reason to think bout med school( somethin happened in the summer) i started to get good grades? Like if mah overall GPA is 3.3ish and mah last 2 yrs is 3.6ish.

So for rite now, with all ur expert opinions, the first question is most imp, shud i register and start taking pre-med courses.

Any-experience anyone has had with US schools will be helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can do 30-34 on MCATs, did a few practice ones.
Lol, that is meaningless. Do it and tell me the result. There are a few US schools whose average matriculant GPA is 3.3. However, I would consider anything MCAT lower than 28 risky for applicants to the US. :thumbup:

Only If i have a favorable chance of gettin in a US med school, only then i shud take the pre-med courses.
Yes, but you'd never know until u take them. Also, most med. schools expect that you will have completed half of the 5-7 prereqs by the time you submit your application.

I wanna take biology as soon as next semester.
Lol, though bio is required, it's not the whole premed universe. Med schools also require physio, BIOCHEM., orgo., physical/analytic chem., physics, calculus, etc. I also highly recommend a comparative anatomy course.

Would a US school look at the toughness of a engineering degree?
Nope. Any undergrad degree is looked upon equally. You can major in music and still be highly looked upon if you have excellent GPA. However, schools may look upon certain universities more highly than others.

Would they look into the fact that i did OK in mah first 2 yrs
No, med. schools treat all years equally. However, there may be a little lee-way if your grades show improvement. Mind you that most grad schools don't even look at your first 2 years.

shud i register and start taking pre-med courses.
Only if you want to fulfill med. school entrance requirements. :rolleyes:

These courses otherwise are no use to me.

If you really want to realistically assess your chances with a US med. school, I suggest you purchase or browse through : "Medical School Entrance Requirements" published by the AAMC, which is an annual compilum of all US/Canadian med. school stats. Most university science libraries have a copy of it on reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes everything Lotsof77 said.
And regarding the MCAT, I heard that anything under 30 doesn't cut it.
Check out the other med sections in this forum ( american section of this same forum ) there have been some questions already asked by other canadians with very low averages about admission to the american universities

You need to consider immigration isues and citizenship issues. Not to mention cost and the ability to stay in the US or go back to Canada to do residency.

These are topics that most people do not consider. Never mind the basic requirements of grades, etc.

Good luck.