Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheClick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly tell me if I have a chance at being accepted into an aussie med school with a 3.0 gpa and a 25n mcat score. Thanks in advance for your replies and helping me out.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to improve the MCAT score. Without an "O" on the writing section and an "8" on each individual section, most schools won't even look at your application. U.Queensland seems to have the most lax admissions for internationals, and they've rejected people with a 28-29.

The GPA should be fine if you want to go to UQ or USyd (they don't care about your GPA as long as it's above 2.7), but the other schools will weigh both GPA and MCAT equally. You can get in with a 3.0, but only if you score in the 30's on the MCAT. I graduated with a 2.9, and I've been told that I'd be a borderline applicant to most schools despite my 35 on the MCAT.

Australian schools aren't really there to accept the people who didn't get into American schools. If that's what you're looking for, you want to go to the Caribbean. The only reason for an American school reject (like myself) to go to Australia is in the event of a low GPA and high MCAT, since Australian schools place more emphasis on test scores.

You need a minimum of 8-8-8 M to be considered for most Aussie medical schools. An O is recommended but not required at Flinders. Melbourne recommends a P on the writing section. Other Aussie schools want at least an M. Realistically unless you ace the interview, a 25 MCAT is not going to cut it. Most people who get into Aussie schools usually have around a 30 or better on their MCAT.

Foreign GPAs are not weighed that heavily, once you meet the cutoff, they do not look at it. Most schools actually want to see a minimum of a 3.0. The MCAT is much more important to Aussie schools.

If you had a 30 and a GPA in the low 3 range you would be real competitive for American DO schools.

Last edited:
thanks for answering my question guys i appreciate it