Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Claseik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently enrolled in a masters program at McGill studying Neurology and Neurosurgery and have a 32 in my mcats (p11 v10 b11). I'm looking to apply to medical school in Canada after I finish my masters but I want to know what my chances are considering my GPA is only 2.96.

I am curious if my chances are good enough to even warrant attempting to apply in canada (as an ontario and quebec resident) and if not, what are some of my other options.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In my honest opinion, it will be very hard for you to get into medical school in Canada, especially in Ontario. Is your GPA overall, or only for your master's program? If it is only for your master's program, then you may be OK if your undergraduate GPA is higher. If not, it will be an uphill battle, but anything is doable. If you are fluent in French and apply to the two or three French-only medical programs in Quebec, you might have a shot. I'd try that.

However, I would also simultaneously submit applications to MD and DO schools in the States. I'd do what I can to stay in Canada or the US, as it will be easier for you to get a residency position later. At this point in the game, I assume you have finished your BS/BA degree, and your best bet is to enroll in a Special Master's Program (I think they are only in the US, none in Canada that I know of) which allow you to take actual medical school courses with current medical students. Medical school admissions committees in the US will look at your performance and if you do very well they will be more likely to overlook your previous grades. But beware: you must do BETTER than current medical students and get good grades. If you don't, your toast. But at this point I think it's your best option.

You may also want to consider Caribbean medical schools, but I would use this as your last option.

Unfortunately the GPA was for my undergraduate studies. I have only just started in grad school, but I have been working pretty hard to hopefully boost my overall GPA.

I was hopeing that with the improvement in my GPA and MCAT, that it might help with the process of getting in.

Thanks for the response, I will definitely apply to schools in the states and worse comes to worse apply to the carribean.