chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAbruin08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i'm applying the the upcoming year fall 2009 and was seeing whaty ou thought my chances were. here are my stats:

GPA: 3.2 GRE: Q: 770-88% V: 450-47% :confused: AW: 5.5-90%
Hours: 500+ outpatient (from 2 jobs as a PT Aide), just starting with inpatient hours

As the screen name says, I went to UCLA and ended up taking some science courses that were mainly geared toward engineering and physical science majors, which explains as to why my GPA is a bit on the low side. As for the GRE's, I don't seem to understand why my verbal score is so low. It's quite perplexing, I studied a couple months before that, but I guess I froze up during the actual test. I'm applying to schools in SoCal (Chapman, USC, CSUN, Western, CSULB) and was seeing my likelihood of getting into a program this year.

Members don't see this ad.

With the admission stats as you posted, your chances depend on the program you apply to. If the published standards say a GRE of 500 or above, you have no chance at that school.
If you have been turned down by your first choice schools, then widen your area, check out the new schools that are just starting as well as schools where there are several schools in a geographic area. Public schools are the most selective so be prepared to look at private schools.
I am a school director so my information is trustworthy. Good luck.

I say you have a good chance getting in if your overall application is well rounded. I mean your GRE's are pretty good. V is close to 50% and rest is almost perfect. GPA is on the lower side, but it's not terrible like 2.5 or 2.7 etc. but this is my opinion.

TUNDirector, I don't mean to offend you, but I tend not to believe people that claim that say they are in a position like yours and make a statement like IF school says 500+ then you won't get in. Because everyone knows that it's false, school tend to look at your overall app. I mean it is easy to say. IF there is proof that you really are a director of a program then I apologize. To prove my point i changed my status to school admin also.

hey all,

i'm applying the the upcoming year fall 2009 and was seeing whaty ou thought my chances were. here are my stats:

GPA: 3.2 GRE: Q: 770-88% V: 450-47% :confused: AW: 5.5-90%
Hours: 500+ outpatient (from 2 jobs as a PT Aide), just starting with inpatient hours

As the screen name says, I went to UCLA and ended up taking some science courses that were mainly geared toward engineering and physical science majors, which explains as to why my GPA is a bit on the low side. As for the GRE's, I don't seem to understand why my verbal score is so low. It's quite perplexing, I studied a couple months before that, but I guess I froze up during the actual test. I'm applying to schools in SoCal (Chapman, USC, CSUN, Western, CSULB) and was seeing my likelihood of getting into a program this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say you have a good chance getting in if your overall application is well rounded. I mean your GRE's are pretty good. V is close to 50% and rest is almost perfect. GPA is on the lower side, but it's not terrible like 2.5 or 2.7 etc. but this is my opinion.

TUNDirector, I don't mean to offend you, but I tend not to believe people that claim that say they are in a position like yours and make a statement like IF school says 500+ then you won't get in. Because everyone knows that it's false, school tend to look at your overall app. I mean it is easy to say. IF there is proof that you really are a director of a program then I apologize. To prove my point i changed my status to school admin also.

I agree with bigshoguns - although I asked what my chances are in a different thread, im taking these comments to personal value and with a grain of salt. your over application has to show good measures - aka course difficulty and material studied. grades are just a number, if you can prove your dedication to the field, ability to withstand a difficult course-load, time management skills, and the ability to maintain a strong relationship with peers, then you are an ideal candidate - if grades alone were a determining factor, then there would be no need for letters of recommendations as well as interviews and personal statements. goodluck buddy you are in good shape just make sure u follow through with the career for the right reasons. the goal for the APTA is to keep people in the profession, not have people transition to allopathic medicine etc.

I agree, I think your stats are very sufficient. But they also take into account your letter of recs, extracurricular activities, and personal essay, all which are very important.

No offense taken on voicing a different opinion. While many schools post preferred levels on admission requirements, others post the minimum. If you want to know if you qualify for a certain school, ask the school. Activities, experiences, and other intangibles do count but they count differently at different schools.
I hope everyone does well on interviews and becoming a member of the PT community.