Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiation523

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 9 PS, 9 V, 12 BS. overall: 30 M

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.85

Activities:
-Summer lung cancer research.
-Co-author of 2 papers.
-2 Week mission trip abroad.
-Other typical activities with pre-medical groups.

PA Resident

Schools:
Wake Forest
University of Pittsburgh
Brown University
Tufts University
West Virginia University
University of Louisville
University of Vermont
Dartmouth Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Alabama
Oregon Health and Science University
Drexel University
Eastern Virginia Medical School
University of Arkansas
Marshall University
University of South Carolina

What are my chances at getting into any one of these schools? Should I apply to more?

Members don't see this ad.

Leadership Positions:
Paid Mentor for Freshman Engineers
Recruitment and Student Government Chair for Engineering group on campus

Hours of Shadowing: Around 50
Research Experience: One Summer Lung Cancer research, One summer gathering data for surgical procedure papers

Abroad Experience: Studied in Denmark summer of 2009, Spent 2 week in the Dominican Republic for a mission trip in January 2009.

Volunteer Experience: Starting in the spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are close to the median for those accepted to allopathic med school. Your BCPM GPA is very nice.

I'd have to assume that you are planning to apply next summer, since your clinical experience is pretty sparse so far and having it is a requirement for consideration by adcomms. Considering that the average applicant has about a year and a half of clinical experience, you'll want to get that started way sooner than next spring. If the mission trip was medical in nature that is helpful, but most of your experience should be in American institutions so you get a feel for how medicine is practiced locally. Four hours a week would be fine.

Your leadership is good. The shadowing is fine (more than one type of doctor is desirable). The research is adequate, but might be too brief for research giants like UPitt, Brown, and Dartmouth. Having publications is impressive though. Other than the mission, do you have other community service? Adcomms like to see that.

Other schools on your list are not friendly to OOSers, or if they take in-staters they expect them to have ties to the state or region: Oregon, Alabama, Arkansas, Marshall. Wake, Tufts, and Boston are a reach for your stats.

Schools where you have a good chance: EVMS, Drexel, MCW, UVermont, USC. I'm not sure about Louisville.

I agree with the above post. You need to get volunteering experience and should start ASAP.

Good job on the published papers.:thumbup:

Yeah, perhaps I should start earlier than the spring so if they ask about it at interviews (fingers crossed for those) that I could have something to talk about.

Thanks for the advice! Anything else would also be appreciated!