Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k2on3hru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(this is for a friend)

I wanted to know if I have a shot at ANY medical schools. I don't really mind applying to D.O. schools, but I just wanted to know if I have a shot at getting into any MD schools.

GPA: Upward trend. 1st semester 3.22 semesters after that 4.0
CGPA: 3.74 sGPA 3.74
Many honors programs

MCAT: 26 ( vr: 7 ps: 9 bs: 10)

Shadowing: 50 hrs primary care

Volunteering: 200 hrs at a hospital

Research: 1.5 years in 1 lab.
Undergraduate research grant + Poster presentation

TAing: 2 semesters ( actually taught a course)

Work: Tutored for a private company
Worked for another program thats focused on teaching.

Leadership: President of a club for 2 semesters
Orientation ambassador for 2 years

Thank you so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(this is for a friend)

I wanted to know if I have a shot at ANY medical schools. I don't really mind applying to D.O. schools, but I just wanted to know if I have a shot at getting into any MD schools.

GPA: Upward trend. 1st semester 3.22 semesters after that 4.0
CGPA: 3.74 sGPA 3.74

MCAT: 26 ( vr: 7 ps: 9 bs: 10)

Shadowing: 50 hrs primary care

Volunteering: 200 hrs at a hospital

Research: 1.5 years in 1 lab.
Undergraduate research grant + Poster presentation

TAing: 2 semesters ( actually taught a course)

Work: Tutored for a private company
Worked at a summer program and taught high school chemistry teachers.

Leadership: Professional Fraternity president for 2 semesters
Orientation ambassador for 2 years

I qualified for the Fee assistance program so I might as well just submit my applications this year.

Thank you so much for your help.

So, some people may disagree, but I can speak from experience. I applied last year with similar credentials; 25 MCAT and I had (no disrespect) more hours and more ECs than that list and they were more impressive (i.e. working overseas with the military, over 200 hours shadowing, OR shadowing, volunteer for eldery in two hospitals, publication, 2 years biomedical research, and the list goes on and on).

I got turned down everywhere I applied (only 3 schools) due primarily to me low MCAT score.

Tell your buddy if he wants a fighting chance, he or she should increase their MCAT--I learned the hard way.

As for DO school, I can't speak from experience, but I would say your friend has a decent chance at that.

Best of luck :)

Ah man :( Well english is their second language. Not sure if thats worth anything but it could explain the low verbal score.

Ah man :( Well english is their second language. Not sure if thats worth anything but it could explain the low verbal score.

That's not to say that DO school is out! Give it a shot. Plus, since I got that 25, I studied HARD for the MCAT and I ended up with a 32Q. That's the score I will be applying with this year (PS: 11, VR: 10, WS: Q, B: 11). If you work hard at it, you can certainly do it!

and P.S. English is also my second language. Don't let that be a barrier!