Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSizzles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.15
MCAT 26

I have decent activities and letters of rec, but i do not have any research experience.
Should I take a year off or do I have any chance if I apply broadly? My dream school Is CCOM because I live really close by. On their website it lists the average GPA of matriculants at 3.56, but I have no idea if that is science or cumulative. Also, random question. I am a psych major and am taking a neuroscience class, but because its listed as psych will I get credit for it?

Members don't see this ad.

If listed as psych, you get social science points, not life sciences points. You need to get that MCAT up. I'm in a similar boat as you; gotta get the MCAT score up. The name of the game, in your case, is MCAT. MCAT. MCAT.

Yeah the MCAT is low, but do I retake and apply next cycle or take my chances and apply broadly? I was under the impression that my MCAT was fine, but my science GPA was the problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the MCAT is low, but do I retake and apply next cycle or take my chances and apply broadly? I was under the impression that my MCAT was fine, but my science GPA was the problem.
If you are aiming for DO, you got a great shot. Your numbers are average for DO. No need to retake the MCAT if none of your subscores are less than 7.

Does anyone have information pertaining to the CCOM part of the question?

Latest sci GPA I found for CCOM (2009) says 3.45. Personally, I'd do a few retakes if that was my goal.